Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

Casserole (or Quick Re-Heat) Ideas

by Leann C » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:38 am

Hi everyone,

I have a friend who just had a baby yesterday and I believe they will be coming home from the hospital tomorrow or Saturday. I would like to make a couple of easily re-heated items for them to throw into the oven when they don't feel like cooking. It doesn't have to be a casserole. Just looking for yummy ideas (and recipes).

Also, I'm aware that certain foods should be avoided by breast-feeding mothers. I've never had a baby myself, but have googled the topic. Any advice on that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Leann
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

Re: Casserole (or Quick Re-Heat) Ideas

by AmyBK » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:57 pm

My favorite go-to recipe for new baby/broke a hip/spouse in the hospital casserole is Chicken Tettrazini. It freezes well, is easy to make, and is well tolerated across generations. I do a riff on a Joy of Cooking version, good stuff. Happy to share the recipe. I usually accompany it with salad pre-washed, dressing in a separate jar, and a loaf of garlic bread.

A couple of roasted pork tenderloins, sliced, with mashers and green beans is another delivery meal I do that is easy and keeps well.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:02 pm

AmyBK wrote:My favorite go-to recipe for new baby/broke a hip/spouse in the hospital casserole is Chicken Tettrazini. It freezes well, is easy to make, and is well tolerated across generations. I do a riff on a Joy of Cooking version, good stuff. Happy to share the recipe. I usually accompany it with salad pre-washed, dressing in a separate jar, and a loaf of garlic bread.

A couple of roasted pork tenderloins, sliced, with mashers and green beans is another delivery meal I do that is easy and keeps well.

Leann,

Amy's suggestions are great ones. :D Regarding the breast-feeding- typical advice is avoid heavily garlic and heavily spicy along with "gassy foods"- ( dried beans, etc). But personally I found it entirely child-dependent- some are finicky- others are not.

Definitely go for freezable- lots food tends to come early- then nothing. I typically do a soup in freezable portions and add a loaf of great bread along with washed greens like Amy suggested. go heavy on veggies-moms really need the vitamins and don't have time or energy to rush out and get some.

THey will hugely appreciate whatever you do. :D

Deb
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:12 pm

Leann, if you go with a casserole, stop at the Dollar Tree and pick up some cheapo disposable aluminum foil pans. There are a LOT of options out there as far as size, depth, dimensions, covers, etc.

Then your friends don't have to worry about cleanup or returning your bakeware.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:09 am

Second Lois' suggestion- great idea! Having to return/store /track people's containers is a major headache that new parents don't need to deal with.

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:10 pm

Lasagna is comforting and not really all that hard to make, and it would go great in a disposable foil lasagna pan.

Here are a couple of recipes I've published in the past, one meatful and one veggie.

http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvis ... 0703.phtml

http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvis ... 0105.phtml
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:06 pm

You will want to avoid using Thyme, Sage, Oregano and Parsley as they can dry up her supply and it's hard enough those first few weeks to get your supply up. Learned this the hard way with my love for Italian and Mexican foods :(

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/herbs_to_avoid.html
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:08 am

My wife and kids when they were breast-fed infants did not have any issues with the herbs listed or any of that stuff that you are typically told to avoid (beans, cruciferous veggies, garlic, spicy stuff, etc.) and I think my kids are better eaters because of it. Keep in mind that all that stuff is guidelines and it is up to the individual parent to decide what is right for both them and their child.

I can only echo what has already been posted here, lasagna or other baked pastas, hearty soups and stews. Adjusting to parenting was not a stretch for us, even going from one child to two, we never stopped cooking from scratch, though any help you can offer is great. The new parent survival kit I have offered to my friends did not include any of the reheat-meal type stuff, rather I put in a bottle of stain remover for laundry, a big bag of coffee, a bottle of stout for mom (an old Irish tradition) and lots of healthy-ish snack type foods (wasabi peas, trail mix, shelled pistachios, etc. for mom or dad when they are inevitably awake in the middle of the night, and also for the tons of visitors they will have at their home in the first few weeks). When I've had time I make some seawood soup, which is a Korean tradition and is just loaded with tons of micro-nutrients that are great for post partum moms. Just google Korean Seaweed soup for a recipe.
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
no avatar
User

Chris LM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:23 pm

by Chris LM » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Last year I had surgery & about 500 people brought over pasta or some form of lasagna. With the meds I was on, the smell of the tomato sauce made me quesy. I vowed next time someone needed a meal I would wait two weeks, and then take over salmon croquettes!

Regarding the breastfeeding, I always heard that broccoli & cabbage were not good, as well as garlic & onions. Good luck.
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:25 pm

How about something like Sour Cream chicken enchiladas?? Not too spicy, easy to reheat and make for left overs. Or a shredded pork bbq and you could provide things like buns, and easy side dishes like potato salad, beans, cole slaw, etc.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:42 pm

How about a "care package" of disposable plates, cups and flatware, paper napkins, etc.?

Can make life easier while Mom is recuperating, minimizing clean-ups too.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org