Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Kefir

no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

Kefir

by Megan Watts » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:35 pm

Has anyone ever used Kefir as a probiotic? I've starting giving some to my son, but the taste can be a little off putting. Basically I've been having to mix it with his lactose free milk, then putting in chocolate, so he think it's a shake. :lol: If you've used it..have you noticed any benefits? Have you found a flavor or brand that you like better than others?
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: Kefir

by Lois Mauk » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Love me some KEFIR! I've been buying mine lately at Aldi's; I think they have strawberry and strawberry banana flavors.

In the 1970s, we had home delivery of raw milk and dairy products from Mathis Dairy in Decatur, GA. That's when I was introduced to the wonders of Kefir.

It is an acquired taste though. How old is your son? Will he eat yogurt? There are lots of probiotic varieties out there that he might find more palatable than Kefir.

My son was literally weaned on yogurt. It's really easy to make yourself, if you're interested. You can control the acidity, tartness and fat content if you make it yourself. My son used to go through a half gallon of yogurt a week. He grew up preferring it to ice cream, making yogurt sundaes with applesauce toppings, wheat germ, etc. Thirty years later, he's probably changed his preferences to ice cream. :-)
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:04 am

Thanks for your answer, Lois! Ben loves yogurt, and we eat one a day. However, right now he's only eating Yoplait strawberry (Dora) yogurt :lol: It can't have any chunks or bits of fruit in it. I was thinking maybe I should try something like Activia and see if that works. So far he's tolerating the Kefir, but I'm only able to disguise about 1/3 a cup in his milk. I'm not even sure exactly how much he should be getting. The directions on the bottle are 1 cup a day, but then again, that may only be for adults. We've gotten such a run around from the GI about doing anything, that I'm sure they wouldn't be any help with this! (Seriously, they wanted me to give a picky 4 yr old magnesium citrate and told me I couldn't dilute it! To which I laughed and told them they could forget it!)
no avatar
User

JenS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:09 pm

by JenS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Megan,

I was going to suggest throwing a couple of tablespoons of ground flax into a smoothie/milkshake and blending the heck out of it to reduce the texture issue. A couple of years ago my pediatrician recommended a powder probiotic that could be mixed into applesauce, yogurt, etc.It was really difficult to find and I cannot remember the nbame of it, but I wonder if you went to Whole foods and asked in the vitamin/wellness section if they would have any recommendations.

Good Luck!
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:46 pm

I also found a drink called Good Belly that is juice with probiotics. I think once he drinks it up I'll just go to using Culturelle for kids. That way I know the dosing is right that he's getting. Can't hurt, just a little pricey!