Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Confusing Insight pricing

User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

Confusing Insight pricing

by Gordon M Lowe » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:27 pm

I have what I consider to be the plain vanilla Insight cable plan: My current bill describes it as "Classic Service(includes Basic @ $14.48)". The price before tax is $57, and the mini box is free. I get channels 2 - 99, but no movie channels, no muzak channels, or On-demand movies, and no DVR.

My mother just happened to mention to me that her cable was going up from $32 to $40. I was puzzled to say the least, since we both have the same plan. I called Insight, and they stonewalled the issue with me, saying they couldn't discuss another person's account, but when pressed, the rep suggested that my mother must have taken advantage of a special offer. My mother has been continuously connected at the same address, since Dimension served her neighborhood, way back in 1982. She has always just passively let the prevailing cable system make changes, and is now paying $17 less per month than me. Granted, I am a newer subscriber, but if two customers are getting the identical service, shouldn't they be paying the same price?

For any of you out there who just have the simple cable scenario I described, with no bundling, what are you paying per month?
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Confusing Insight pricing

by Steve P » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Can't speak for cable...but for years we were "grandfathered" in a special "package" deal we got when I first signed up for DirecTV (2002 or so). Our package was almost identical to the one they offer now but we paid (I think) 24 bucks less a month...for YEARS. So yeah, I could see where the cable company might do the same thing.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:25 pm

Steve P wrote:Can't speak for cable...but for years we were "grandfathered" in a special "package" deal we got when I first signed up for DirecTV (2002 or so). Our package was almost identical to the one they offer now but we paid (I think) 24 bucks less a month...for YEARS. So yeah, I could see where the cable company might do the same thing.

That sort of thing is nice for my mom, but do you think I have any leg to stand on asking for a price match?
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:01 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:
Steve P wrote:Can't speak for cable...but for years we were "grandfathered" in a special "package" deal we got when I first signed up for DirecTV (2002 or so). Our package was almost identical to the one they offer now but we paid (I think) 24 bucks less a month...for YEARS. So yeah, I could see where the cable company might do the same thing.

That sort of thing is nice for my mom, but do you think I have any leg to stand on asking for a price match?

My guess ? Prolly not since you said you mentioned you were a "new customer"...I've been with Direct TV for god, I dunno 10 years minimum, and I use that "seniority" to leverage a couple of freebies out of them every year (I got a new DVR for free this year when I happened to mention to customer service that I was toying with the idea of going to cable). Not sure how cable works with all of this stuff...MAYBE since Insight is being gobbled up their policies might change, who knows. Good luck though, I hope you get something out of 'em.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:06 pm

The best way I have found to negotiate with Insight is to find a better deal and then use that as leverage. I can see how you can't really leverage your mom's deal or another customer's deal, but is what you are paying now what Insight is currently selling Classic service for? If you were a new customer today, is that the same deal? If you looked at direct tv or u-verse, etc, what would you pay for similar service?

I keep an eye on Insight commercials (granted at the moment we are bundled!) just to make sure there isn't a better deal they should be giving us. Same with satellite, etc! If they want to keep me as a customer, they need to match it or at least come pretty darn close.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:11 pm

I think it is fairly common knowledge Time Warner is taking over Insight and from what i have heard it is soon...as in this next month but can't understand why there hasn't been more promotion about this....also I Have heard much better pricing than Insight. Until then you can always call Insight as them if you are getting the lowest price available and they will do a review