Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

need some advice....

no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

need some advice....

by Becky M » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:59 pm

dont know how to go about this situation.....

had an accident in a store parking lot last night.... not a car accident. had to go to er.... on crutches now, etc.

how do i go about having the store pay for the medical bills? i have never dealt with this before... no idea what to do.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: need some advice....

by Lois Mauk » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:12 pm

First, did this take place in Indiana or Kentucky?

Do you believe there was any "premises liability" on the part of the property owner or store? Can you prove this (photos of the site of the injury, witnesses, etc.)? A big issue is proving negligence on the part of the property owner or the store management.

What is the extent of your injury? Any broken bones or are we talking about a sprained ankle, etc.?

Are you going to have any lost wages as a direct result of this injury?

You can try to handle this yourself by collecting your medical bills and presenting them to the store management but they're not likely to make this process easy for you.

Engaging an attorney to represent you is a possibility but you're going to need more than an ER visit in hard medical expenses before they're likely to talk to you.

Sorry you got hurt but there's really a lot of questions that have to be answered first. You're welcome to PM me, if you like.

Lois
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Becky, I'm glad Lois has some ideas ... I don't have much practical advice, but I wanted to jump in and say I'm sorry you got hurt and hope you feel better soon!
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Becky, I'm glad Lois has some ideas ... I don't have much practical advice, but I wanted to jump in and say I'm sorry you got hurt and hope you feel better soon!

Thanks Robin.... first time i have ever been "out of commission" and i know it is going to be tough.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Becky and I are chatting about this on the PM side. I've given her some suggestions. Fingers crossed.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:05 pm

Hey Becky..I just saw this post I hope your doing ok now. When you get things sorted out please post back and let us know what happened. I am always worried about someone hurting themselves by tripping or something while out at our greenhouses. There seems to be a fairly grey line as whats considered "store negligence" and whats not. Good luck..
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.