Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Medical/Life Alert

User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Medical/Life Alert

by Steve P » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:17 pm

Has anyone had any experience with any of the Medical/Life Alert ("I've fallen and I can't get up") systems ? My mother, who lives alone, has been have balance issues for the past month or so and it's keeping me on pins and needles. Just trying to figure out if these systems are on the up and up and if so which one might be the best. Thanks.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Medical/Life Alert

by GaryF » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:11 am

Steve- I got one for my mom and she actually used it. It seemed to be a pretty good set up all in all.
I wish I could be more explicit but it was many years ago.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Steve,

Not knowing what jurisdiction your Mom resides in I would contact the local dispatch center where she lives and talk to a supervisor. Ask them what company they receive the most medical alrms from, how they handle dispatching those alarms (priority, response type such as Fire/EMS or Police) and if they have any particular suggestions. While they can't recommend a specific company (we'll we can't here but maybe they can) they can tell you who the professional providers are and hopefully help you avoid the fly by night operators. If you need help running down some telephone numbers for up there just let me know.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Steve,

Not knowing what jurisdiction your Mom resides in I would contact the local dispatch center where she lives and talk to a supervisor. Ask them what company they receive the most medical alrms from, how they handle dispatching those alarms (priority, response type such as Fire/EMS or Police) and if they have any particular suggestions. While they can't recommend a specific company (we'll we can't here but maybe they can) they can tell you who the professional providers are and hopefully help you avoid the fly by night operators. If you need help running down some telephone numbers for up there just let me know.

Ed,

Given most of these outfits are national, which ones do you get the most professional calls from ?
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Ed has given you very sound advice. From a "street" perspective, I can't give you a company, but I will tell you to make sure they pass on information like who the "keyholder" is. Nothing is more frustrating for emergency responders to get to a house of a patient who cannot come to the door with the long wait for a family member or the "foot to door" entry only to find out that a neighbor has a key, but the information was not passed by the alarm company. Most of the national companies seem competent, but it comes down to who is answering the call and what information they give. Hope you find a good service!!
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Highlands

by Doug A » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:19 am

Steve P wrote:Has anyone had any experience with any of the Medical/Life Alert ("I've fallen and I can't get up") systems ? My mother, who lives alone, has been have balance issues for the past month or so and it's keeping me on pins and needles. Just trying to figure out if these systems are on the up and up and if so which one might be the best. Thanks.

We put a LifeFone system in my parents house about 2 1/2 years ago and we've been happy with it once we were able to convince them to wear the notification pendant 24/7.

They've had to use it several times over the years and the company calls the family member that is on call and whatever emergency response is necessary. They have always been responsive and it's helped keep my folks independent which was the goal.

The key holder is an issue .We have a combination lock box with a house key that is registered with LifeFone and I believe that they are passing the info to the EMS crews, but we've had limited success with them using it. It's usually dark when they have had to respond and frankly it may just be hidden too well even with the instructions passed along from LifeFone.

We did have an issue with the phone not being hung up or knocked off the hook. That means the LifeFone also would not work so we installed a RJ-31X jack that allowed the LifeFone to sieze the line even if a phone was off the hook. An extra wiring step, but not a difficult thing to do and gives us peace of mind.

Good luck-Doug
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:28 am

Doug A wrote:.We have a combination lock box with a house key that is registered with LifeFone and I believe that they are passing the info to the EMS crews,

Doug,

Related to what you mentioned, a couple of my moms local Emergency services providers recommended getting a "KnoxBox" (link below). I've just started looking into it but apparently after they are installed (you can get a model that hangs over the door) they must be programed/registered by the local EMS and after that they can -only- be opened by EMS/Fire and only via remote signal. The EMS/Fire people I spoke to said they are becoming standard home equipment, not only for older people but for everyone. Perhaps Ed or Suzi, etc. could chime in with some additional info

http://www.knoxbox.com/store/Knox-Box-1 ... Series.cfm
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:23 pm

Steve P wrote:
Doug A wrote:.We have a combination lock box with a house key that is registered with LifeFone and I believe that they are passing the info to the EMS crews,

Doug,

Related to what you mentioned, a couple of my moms local Emergency services providers recommended getting a "KnoxBox" (link below). I've just started looking into it but apparently after they are installed (you can get a model that hangs over the door) they must be programed/registered by the local EMS and after that they can -only- be opened by EMS/Fire and only via remote signal. The EMS/Fire people I spoke to said they are becoming standard home equipment, not only for older people but for everyone. Perhaps Ed or Suzi, etc. could chime in with some additional info

Knox Boxes are common here in the Metro. They open with a key carried on the apparatus (Med Unit, Fire Engine, etc). I'm not familiar with any electronic signal ones.

As for companies: I pulled 3 months worth of calls for medical alarms and highly recommend going with a national company such as ADT, Life Line, Life Alert or similar as they have established procedures on whom to call, key holder info, notification procedures and the like. Not saying a local company can't do the same up there just relating the stats from here.

Highly recommend the Knox Box as it saves money on not having to replace doors and windows. When we need to get in we get in!
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Highlands

by Doug A » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:07 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:
Steve P wrote:

Doug,

Knox Boxes are common here in the Metro. They open with a key carried on the apparatus (Med Unit, Fire Engine, etc). I'm not familiar with any electronic signal ones.

As for companies: I pulled 3 months worth of calls for medical alarms and highly recommend going with a national company such as ADT, Life Line, Life Alert or similar as they have established procedures on whom to call, key holder info, notification procedures and the like. Not saying a local company can't do the same up there just relating the stats from here.

Highly recommend the Knox Box as it saves money on not having to replace doors and windows. When we need to get in we get in!

We have a building that we have a Knox Box on that we installed for the Fire Department, but never considered one for a residence.

Anyone have any experience with putting one on a condo? I guess we'd need one for the exterior door and label the exterior door key to get access to the building and label interior keys by unit number. We've done something similar with all of our tenant and sprinkler pump room doors being color coded so I assume that would work. Any comments from those in the know?

What about private, not offical Louisville EMS, ambulance services that show up in response to a call from a service like this. Would they have a Knox Box key?

Good ideas all.

Thanks-Doug