Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Insight to Time Warner

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:06 am

Gary Guss wrote:I'd bet your router has gone sour, if you can maybe borrow one and see

The router has gone sour, and Roku is the only thing affected, and that only during prime time? Hmm. Stranger things have happened, I guess ...
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Maybe Insight has decided to reduce service to Hipster Neighborhoods and instead is favoring the Great Unwashed Multitudes of the Southern Expanse?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:38 pm

Gary Guss wrote: Hipster Neighborhoods

:shock: I think you have us confused with Clifton. 8)
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:47 pm

You wish !
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote: We have the Belkin wireless router that Insight gave us.

Upgrade your router. We recently upgraded a slightly aged Linksys with the new Apple Airport, and the difference was night and day, both for wired and wireless items.

The Airport is expensive for a router, but after a lot of research and our own experience, it's the best out there. We haven't had to reset it once over the last 2 months, and the speed is seriously impressive. Also, I think you use a number of Apple products, Robin, and the interface between Apple products and the Airport is impressive.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:13 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:

Upgrade your router. We recently upgraded a slightly aged Linksys with the new Apple Airport, and the difference was night and day, both for wired and wireless items.

The Airport is expensive for a router, but after a lot of research and our own experience, it's the best out there. We haven't had to reset it once over the last 2 months, and the speed is seriously impressive. Also, I think you use a number of Apple products, Robin, and the interface between Apple products and the Airport is impressive.

I'm an Apple fanboy in a big way, Brad, and I got that from Mary. That being said, though, I thought the router was issued by Insight, and I didn't realize you could bring your own. Izzat so? I will have to look into this ...
no avatar
User

Pete O

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

by Pete O » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:34 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I'm an Apple fanboy in a big way, Brad, and I got that from Mary. That being said, though, I thought the router was issued by Insight, and I didn't realize you could bring your own. Izzat so? I will have to look into this ...

You do not have to use the Belkin that you got from Insight. Use whatever you want. If you look at your bill, you might actually be leasing the equipment from Insight. You can switch to your own hardware, return their hardware to them and have the lease fee taken from your bill.

A word of caution ... if you change your modem as well, you will have to contact Insight and have them point your service to the MAC address of the new modem. Your service will not work until this is done. This only applies if you switch out modems. If you only switch out routers behind the modem, then you don't have to call. I mentioned it incase you by an integrated all-in-one modem/router.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Pete O wrote:A word of caution ... if you change your modem as well, you will have to contact Insight and have them point your service to the MAC address of the new modem. Your service will not work until this is done. This only applies if you switch out modems. If you only switch out routers behind the modem, then you don't have to call. I mentioned it incase you by an integrated all-in-one modem/router.

Thanks a lot, Pete. Very helpful stuff!
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Brad Keeton wrote:

I'm an Apple fanboy in a big way, Brad, and I got that from Mary. That being said, though, I thought the router was issued by Insight, and I didn't realize you could bring your own. Izzat so? I will have to look into this ...

What Pete said about using your own router. I'm very recently becoming an Apple fanboy from pressure from my wife and her family. The router is seriously killer.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:33 pm

My son works Tech Support for Insight has been there over 3 years which is like a lifetime in that job they go thru people like crazy ....he has tried to stay positive with the changes coming...better insurance...adoption assistance( I may just get my first Grandchild yet)and better retirement...today he called it is on the wind that he may have to move from his favorite night shift to an 11 am start and off at like 10 pm he will never see his wife as she works 5 am- to 3 pm...He knows nothing is definite yet and things always change so he is still trying to stay positive....
no avatar
User

Pete O

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

by Pete O » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:38 pm

BevP wrote:My son works Tech Support for Insight has been there over 3 years which is like a lifetime in that job they go thru people like crazy ....he has tried to stay positive with the changes coming...better insurance...adoption assistance( I may just get my first Grandchild yet)and better retirement...today he called it is on the wind that he may have to move from his favorite night shift to an 11 am start and off at like 10 pm he will never see his wife as she works 5 am- to 3 pm...He knows nothing is definite yet and things always change so he is still trying to stay positive....

Bev, my wife works at Insight (in IT) and the rumors and speculation are rampant. I work for LG&E and went through the same rumor/speculation saga when we were acquired by PPL last year. The best advice I can give in this scenario ... keep an even keel, do a good job, and let the cards fall where they may. Most of the rumors never come to fruition and only cause stress in an already uncertain environment.

My 2 cents,
-Pete
Previous