Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Insight to Time Warner

by Steve P » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Not being a cable subscriber, I haven't had my thumb on the pulse of this one i.e. Time Warner to buy Insight Communications. Now that I've read the article (and having lived in two cities where people endured TW) all I can say is that your pain and frustration have only just begun. :roll: Six months hence, you'll be wishing for a return to the heady days of pleasant/efficient customer service and quality programing you now enjoy. :roll:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... cal%20News
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: Insight to Time Warner

by TP Lowe » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Steve - I don't know much about TW cable, but I have TW data and phones for my office and have been very, very happy with both performance and communications. Hope if cable happens that folks have a similar experience.
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:11 am

My Mom has TW Cable and it sucks (her words, not mine).
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:27 pm

I had TW 20+ years in NY and am much happier with Insight services, though Insight seems much more costly
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:32 pm

I'm no huge fan of Insight, but also wary of the Frying Pan > Fire syndrome. Not that we'll have any real choice.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:46 pm

Looks like it's back to good, old-fashioned voodoo.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Please disregard my previous post. Insight customer service has gone way way downhill.
I've been having issues with my download speed and scheduled an appt (which in itself took a week). The tech person said that there was nothing to be done as there is an overload of users in my area and that it is being worked on but wouldn't be up to speed for a while.
When I called today to get a rebate on my bill I was told that
1) I was wrong.
2) They don't promise 10mbps even though I'm paying for it.
3) I could downgrade my service to 1mbps
4) I could find another provider.
And this was the supervisor, needless to say I asked to speak to her supervisor so I guess I'm getting another tech visit. Grrrrr.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:46 pm

ROKU box !
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:28 am

Gary Guss wrote:ROKU box !

I am almost certain that Insight "throttles" my ROKU box. More often than not, it will find the network but won't go onto the Internet. I can fool the system by running Netflix and Hulu Plus through my iPad into the TV via HDM1, but I shouldn't have to do that. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:57 am

You're right, Robin. Insight is a known throttler.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 am

I have Insight also and I'm not having any issues using ROKU at all. I'm using a D-link Wireless router and their 10 MB service. Netflix streams fine all the time, once in awhile some of the more obscure channels has some issues and is slow to load but the streaming is fine once it does
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:13 pm

Gary Guss wrote:I have Insight also and I'm not having any issues using ROKU at all. I'm using a D-link Wireless router and their 10 MB service. Netflix streams fine all the time, once in awhile some of the more obscure channels has some issues and is slow to load but the streaming is fine once it does

Maybe it's a neighborhood thing, Gary? I even coughed up $10 extra (at the same time as we cut the cable and went over to digital antenna for broadcast) for 20Mb service. We have the Belkin wireless router that Insight gave us. As I said, we get good speed on Internet - the only irritation is that my iMac gets confused whenever they do a reset and change the IP, but a quick click to turn off wifi and turn it back on again heals that. But the Roku is troublesome, and the symptoms strongly suggest throttling: It works fine during the day (low traffic) but tends to fail to connect to the Internet during prime evening hours.

I'm glad to have the iPad workaround. If I had had the iPad and HDM1 connector when I got Roku, I probably wouldn't have bothered to pay for Roku, frankly. But it still irritates me. :twisted:
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:18 pm

Have heard cordless phones can cause intermittent problems as they mess with the signal. We have two of them but the base stations are far away from our wireless router
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:36 pm

Gary Guss wrote:Have heard cordless phones can cause intermittent problems as they mess with the signal. We have two of them but the base stations are far away from our wireless router

Not really an issue here, as we've pretty much cut the cord as far as landlines are concerned. We maintain one, and use it for fax and a voice emergency reserve, but it's far from the Internet or the TV. Basically, though, all our telephony is cell or VOIP, and good riddance to Ma Bell. :P
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:22 am

I'd bet your router has gone sour, if you can maybe borrow one and see
Next