Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: 57 zappos employees fell ill with food poisoning?

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Annemarie M wrote: became ill around one o'clock Monday morning as they were eating

Food poisoning doesn't work that fast.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Annemarie M wrote: became ill around one o'clock Monday morning as they were eating

Food poisoning doesn't work that fast.

This is a myth that is usally perpetuated by the establishment that just served you contaminated food. :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:56 pm

The FDA report on B. cereus suggests that its onset normally occurs within a more common range for food poisoning, although the "emetic" (vomiting type) symptoms can occur within 0.5h (a half-hour). I don't really doubt the story, but I think WDRB (Fox News :lol: ) might have been hyping the story a bit with that line about "as they were eating." That's all.

The symptoms of B. cereus diarrheal type food poisoning mimic those of Clostridium perfringens food poisoning. The onset of watery diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and pain occurs 6-15 hours after consumption of contaminated food. Nausea may accompany diarrhea, but vomiting (emesis) rarely occurs. Symptoms persist for 24 hours in most instances.

The emetic type of food poisoning is characterized by nausea and vomiting within 0.5 to 6 h after consumption of contaminated foods. Occasionally, abdominal cramps and/or diarrhea may also occur. Duration of symptoms is generally less than 24 h.

BBB - Bacillus cereus and other Bacillus spp.
Bad Bug Book:
Foodborne Pathogenic Microorganisms and Natural Toxins Handbook
Bacillus cereus and other Bacillus spp.

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/food ... 070492.htm
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:06 am

It should be made clear that the catered meal was the day before. The folks that got sick were eating leftovers more than 24 hours old. I hope no one is implying Mastersons is responsible for the illnesses. Goodness knows How or even If the food was stored from the previous day.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:01 pm

I guess its my turn to say i have specific insider knowledge from a source...... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Zappos does not know exactly how the employees got sick, there were actually a number of different times they could have gotten sick. They are actually performing their own testing to try and figure out what happened.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Annemarie M wrote:"Health officials say bacteria in food made by Masterson's made employees sick. WDRB spoke with the owners at Masterson's, who are not convinced they are to blame, but are revisiting food safety measures."

Which part of "The folks that got sick were eating leftovers more than 24 hours old" was difficult for you to understand? Sanitary food contaminated by eager hands on the buffet and/or stored outside safe temperature ranges can go from good to bad in a hurry.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:32 am

As an interesting aside - this is why savvy catering companies have it explicitly stated in their contracts that they will not and cannot leave the "leftovers" with the client at the end of a served meal or buffet: because clients not trained in food safety and sanitation may not store the food properly or reheat it properly. The blame for foodborne illness may fall squarely on the catering company even though someone who doesn't work there ultimately mishandled the leftovers.

I'm not saying this is what happened, because I don't know, but it's one theory.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 57 Zappos employees fell ill with food poisoning?

by Steve P » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:58 pm

"Spot on" to Robin and Marsha.

If I -were- a betting man I would speculate that it will eventually play out that food storage (or lack there of) at unsafe temps is the culprit here.

I can't tell you how many "drop catering" gigs we've turned down over the years. People have asked us to cook BBQ (and side dishes) for over 200 people and we just keep turning them down. NO way am I going to put food in the hands of people who may or may not know anything about food safety and just walk away.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Marsha and Steve make very valid points, but I'm curious as to how other restaurants, not catering company, handle large to-go orders? I'm sure KFC, Famous Daves/bbq joints, Kroger, ect. get orders for large meals that may or may not be served in a timely manner. How do restaurants handle the responsibilities of selling to-go food?
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Harold B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 am

by Harold B » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:14 pm

While this doesn't relate to Louisville...on a trip last month we had two scenarios:

An Atlanta restaurant would not allow us to get raw half-shell oysters to go for the reasons mentioned above.

An Albany, GA establishment allowed to us to get as many raw half-shell oysters to go as we would like.

It must depend on each individual Health Dept or individual restaurant.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:21 pm

I have a friend who works late evening shift at Zappos. Luckily that day in question was his day off. He reports that the only change that he has noticed is that the employees are no longer allowed to serve them selves. Rather the food must be dished up for them.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:49 pm

The person i know is in a supervisory position and was there that night.... it has absolutely NOTHING to do with catering. and they are now being served as opposed to people getting their own food.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gayle DeM » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Becky, isn't that what I said:
He reports that the only change that he has noticed is that the employees are no longer allowed to serve themselves. Rather the food must be dished up for them.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Gayle DeM wrote:Becky, isn't that what I said:
He reports that the only change that he has noticed is that the employees are no longer allowed to serve themselves. Rather the food must be dished up for them.

Hey - do you two know the same person?! That's pretty coincidental!
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gayle DeM » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Hey - do you two know the same person?! That's pretty coincidental!

That would be a riot!
Next