Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

What's cooking?

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

What's cooking?

by Deb Hall » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:27 pm

What's cooking at your house on this drizzly Sunday? ( 4 days before T-day :wink: ).

Mine:

Baked Cheese ravioli
Cranberry Sauce
Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake
Turkey broth for gravy
Italian tomato, bean & pasta soup ( from a mix- who has time to cook today?? :wink: )

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: What's cooking?

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:41 pm

OOO! An eternal thread, like in FoodLovers Discussion Group on our wine forum? It's up to 57 pages of posts now.
http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/vil ... =5&t=33714

Anyway, I just got back from a day in Bardstown and a rainy drive back up 31E, but Mary had a long day too, so it's my night to cook. I think I'll take some of the garden's last bounty - it was producing right up through Friday's hard frost - and do some kind of a tomato and swiss chard slumgullion with Israeli couscous and some umami flavors.

(Later ... ) And here it is!

Swiss chard, tomatoes, browned onions and garlic with Israeli couscous.

User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:36 am

Deb Hall wrote:What's cooking at your house on this drizzly Sunday? ( 4 days before T-day :wink: ). Deb

Just saw this. Nothing was cooking at our house because we were on a plane returning home from a long weekend in Miami Beach. 8)
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:45 am

Robin-
Any chance this thread can be pinned? If it proves to be unpopular it can always be unpinned to 'float to the bottom"
'Winger
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:00 am

Love this thread...and Robin your dish looks yummy ,we love Israeli couscous.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:58 am

Bill P wrote:Robin-
Any chance this thread can be pinned? If it proves to be unpopular it can always be unpinned to 'float to the bottom"
'Winger

Bill, my thinking was that if it IS popular, it won't have to be pinned. :D

But sure, let's try it for a while. <pin!>
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:24 am

This morning it is a batch of homemade English muffins like these in the photo. Later today we'll start prepping for the traditional Thanksgiving meal with a couple of pies, fresh cranberry compote and giblet prep.

2011-3-english muffins 005.jpg
English Muffins
2011-3-english muffins 005.jpg (114.23 KiB) Viewed 148017 times
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:44 am

Oh, Yum, Bill! Looks wonderful.
Those are one of the few breads I haven't tried making yet. Are they a yeast roll type dough? What makes the bubbles/crannies?
Deb
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:20 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Oh, Yum, Bill! Looks wonderful.
Those are one of the few breads I haven't tried making yet. Are they a yeast roll type dough? What makes the bubbles/crannies?

Deb-
These are made with sourdough and I've tinkered with the basic recipe over the last year or two. The basic recipe came from King Arthur Flour and can be found here:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/ ... ins-recipe

These have smallish nooks and crannies which I have no idea where they come from. :|
I think the citric acid (sour salt) is a must ingredient to enhance
the "soughdoughness,(Available at Nuts&Stuff)
We use the 4" round as I like a bigger muffin. (This will yield about 18 muffins which freeze well)
Also extend the second rise to 2 hours which seems to result in a larger and higher muffin. The suggested 1 hour rise was too flat for my tastes.
Any unbleached flour works fine.
Best results are achieved (IMO) using SAF gold yeast. (Available at nuts and stuff)
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:34 am

my house smells soooo good right now.......

i have two punkin pies in the oven....mmmmmmmm

and am finishing up Deb's cranberry sauce right now.......

prepping for stuffing so in a few will be sauteing onions and celery in butter..... more good smells to come.....
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:38 am

Thanksgiving Eve goodies, touching on the plate. Went great with Monte Antico 2007 Toscana.

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:33 pm

Alton Brown's Good Eats Brined turkey is in the oven. Fantastic recipe, even if I do have to disconnect all the smoke detectors and open the doors before cooking. :lol:

Everything else is pretty much down- ready for last minute reheating and finishing gravy. Yum- I love Thanksgiving!!!
Deb
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Bill- you brought back such nice memories- my dad used to make english muffins all the time. Delicious.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:35 pm

For a potluck last night, Mary made an incredible, easy black-bean soup that involved a lot of browned onions and garlic, a boatload of minced ginger, peanut oil saute, add a couple of cans of Goya black beans and about the same amount of water; buzz with a stick blender until it's a thick puree and then finish with S&P and a short shot of Sriracha, a dash of soy sauce and sesame oil. Proportions ad lib, but you want to end up with a deep black bean flavor with a distinct ginger undertone, the rest playing in the background. She got it right. It was so awesome that everyone filled up on it before even getting to the bird.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:12 pm

Hubby and I don't care for dark meat, but the dogs sure love it. We removed all the yummy white meat left on our 21-pound bird. Last night, I simmered the carcass and the dark meats for a couple of hours, deboned all the meat, then chilled everything overnight. Today, the meat was chopped, added the defatted stock, some extra water and a few cups of red rice. Ended up with about 12 or 14 cups of turkey and rice which we'll freeze and add a couple of spoonfuls to the dogs' kibble each day. They had a sample this evening and polished off every morsel.

Mike and I had turkey sandwiches tonight. So who eats better in this house? Us or the dogs?
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
Next