Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

Immersion blender question

by Charles W. » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:41 pm

Anybody know much about immersion blenders. We're on our second Cuisinart immersion blender. The first had a bad plastic gear design, so they sent us a knew one. We've been using it for a year and the new gear design is solid. My family likes to make smoothies, often with frozen fruit. Last week my daughter overstressed the motor--it smells a bit.

I stopped by the Dine Company today and they have a Waring with a blade assembly about the same size. It is slightly bigger and has two speeds. It is a one-piece design that probably uses plastic gearing as well. Oddly enough, the Cuisinart has a 200 watt motor, with the Waring a 120 watt motor. The larger Warings are way too big and expensive for what we need.

Waring: Power: 120 volts, .8 amps, 60 hertz, 100 watts

I was thinking of getting the Waring, but I'm not sure it will actually be any better. Thoughts?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Immersion blender question

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:39 pm

Charles, we have been using a Braun 200 watt model for years with no real complaints. Recently I got a Ninja on a W00t.com daily deal because it looked big and powerful and was cheap on the special price. In person it looks kind of "plastic," but it works fine. I'm perfectly happy with both, but frankly, I think all you get with additional power is more likelihood of splashing if you use it in a pan.

For what it's worth, here's a Consumer Reports rating sheet for six brands. Note a significant spread between the top three and the bottom three. Only the top three were listed as "recommended."

Breville Control Grip BSB510XL $100 91 points

Miallegro Professional MiTutto 9090 $50 84 points

DeLonghi DHB723 $100 81 points

Hamilton Beach 59765 $30 58 points

Waring Professional SB-10 $40 53 points

Bamix Professional (Williams-Sonoma) $180 51 points
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks to both. I know the Waring in the CR review is their 2 piece retail model (despite the "professional" moniker) while the one at Dine costs double and is a commercial model. Don't know if that makes it better.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:47 pm

I have the Bamix and I wouldn't use anything else. It is very highly rated on Williams-Sonoma's website, for what that's worth. Works great, sensible design, never had a problem with it. OK, other than when I was doing a roasted-potato leek soup that had arugula in it, and the arugula wound around the blades and it quit working, that is until I unwound the leaves from it. You have to be careful with things like that - don't know if that's a universal problem with all immersion blenders, or if it's just a problem with the Bamix. Nothing major once I figured out what had happened. Also, the cost is not $180 on Williams-Sonoma.com. More like $130.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:05 pm

Charles,
I have an Emeril one that I love; not sure who makes it. They sold then at Costco a couple years back- you might want to check if you are a member. It was less than $50.

Deb
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Unless you have your heart set on a new blender I believe your Cuisinart comes with a 3 year warranty. Might want to check that out.

Bill
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:29 pm

i have an older Braun that i bought at a thrift store. it says 160 w and Household type on it. I feel it is pretty good and never feel that i am over-working it. I use it to make soups and salsas. Just tonight i made a huge batch of salsa verde and used my immersion blender for it. Personally though, i think the fact that it is older has something to do with it lasting longer and being tough.

oh yeah.... and it cost me a whopping $3.50 ....... :D :D :D
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:07 am

Right now the Cuisinart is still functioning. It works well for most things, but when my daughter is blending frozen fruit and PB, it is quite a load. That's why I thought the commercial model might be better.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:34 am

I'm more with Annemarie than Robin on this one - the more power, the better. I say that with the caveat that the more power the blender has, the more speed settings you want available. If it's got a ton of power but one setting, then yes, with thinner things you might just end up decorating the kitchen.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:29 am

I'm looking to buy a new immersion blender now as well. This thread is 4 years+ old. Anybody have any updated info?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:49 am

Saw this thing on KaTom ... looks beefy! https://www.katom.com/141-WSB33X.html
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:39 pm

No personal experience with it, but this Cuisinart stick blender is $60 and appears to be the only one that gets essentially a unanimous five-star rating on Amazon:

http://amzn.to/21DNkhg
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:02 pm

That's why I wanted some personal experience from others because elsewhere ( Consumer Reports maybe? Not sure because I've read so many reviews by now) Cuisinart got some pretty poor reviews often with KitchenAide scoring higher. I know much of the Cuisinart kitchenware -apart from pots/pans, which seem to be their best product- has been cr** and has not held up to normal use at all. Knowing how advertising, Yelp, and other review formats work (read money crossing palms) I wanted some in the trenches experiences.

Gary G. Yes, I agree with you about the Waring. It does look reasonable and priced well too.

Robin is your Bamix still doing good?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

by AmyBK » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:10 am

I have had a KitchenAid immersion blender for several years. It works great and has held up well to LOTS of use. I would buy it again without hesitation.
no avatar
User

greg.fleischaker

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:22 pm

by greg.fleischaker » Fri May 27, 2016 10:14 am

I love my immersion blender, but I made a mistake when I believe the marketing that said it was dishwasher safe, and now the foiling around the top of the blender attachments is all shriveled and peeling off, probably should have just rinsed it each time!
Next