Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

eye exams/glasses

User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

eye exams/glasses

by Jimmy R » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:39 pm

I went to Gaddie's yesterday with the intent of getting an eye exam and new glasses but, as nice as they are, I just couldn't afford their current prices. Their business is apparently aimed at those with insurance -- which I don't have. So ... can anyone recommend a good local place to get eyes examined and buy new glasses, without having to take out a second mortgage?

Alternatively, has anyone purchased glasses/frames online? Where? Some of the deals look great, but what about making sure frames fit properly, sight unseen? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jim
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

Re: eye exams/glasses

by BevP » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:41 pm

I have had real good luck with Americas Best I went to the location off Bardstown Rd and Bashford manor Ln .It took about a week to a week and a half to get my glasses back .The folks could not have been nicer. I have insurance but even if you dont prices start at 2 pair for 69 including exam and go up.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:12 pm

Jimmy,

I have on my desk right here in front of me a mailing from Dr. Bizer's VisionWorld... SOON TO BE VISIONWORKS. 100 W. Market St. 587-8488

Eye Exam - $44.98
2 pair of glasses INCLUDING No-Line Bifocals $99.00
$143.98

says 100's of frames

I am going in Friday the 25th. SALE ENDS THE 26th

They are open on Saturdays.

Probably have them back Saturday and certainly Monday.

Hope that helps

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:16 pm

Jimmy Reeves wrote:Alternatively, has anyone purchased glasses/frames online? Where? Some of the deals look great, but what about making sure frames fit properly, sight unseen? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jim

Jim,

A friend of mine has been using Zenni Optical (online) for years and loves the price and the service. When I called him to make sure I had the name right he said that he "highly" recommends them.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:10 pm

Zenni optical is a great deal, BUT you get what you pay for, and there is no way to try on glasses. If you're only buying single vision glasses, go for it. But if you're buying progressive bifocals, go to a local optician. I have a pair from zenni and they're decent for the $15 I paid, but the lenses definitely have flaws.( Full disclosure, I'm an ophthalmic tech). Personally I'd go with vision first, Americas Best or Walmart.
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:47 pm

I thank you all so much for responding. I'm not quite sure what I'll do yet, but it's comforting to know I have such solid options. (And that this continues to be such a friendly, generous site!)

For the record: the people at Gaddie's could not be nicer. I like them very much. My previous eye exam, prescription, and fitting were thoroughly professional; they did an excellent job. I just can't afford them right now. :cry:
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:42 pm

I second Zenni Optical for online glasses. I'm wearing some right now. I splurged, and got the fancy frames, and it still comes out to about $26 after shipping. The first pair I got was more like $17 shipped.

Quality seems the same as others I've gotten over the years from local opticians who charge ten times as much for frames/lenses. The markup is so huge that it feels like a scam to me.

The exam, you'll need to do in person obviously. Just make sure you ask for the PD also (pupillary distance). That isn't normally given on a prescription, but it takes them seconds to measure it for you.

I use Dr. Black's Optometry, over in New Albany, but do have vision insurance, so don't know their exam cost.

Cheers
Dr. Nimbus Couzin