Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Is there any better local broadband than Insight cable?

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:38 pm

We finally got around to setting up a digital broadcast antenna in the attic, and the reception and selection of channels is good enough to make me think seriously about cutting the Insight TV cable now. We never got the movie/premium channels, and frankly, the rest of their portfolio isn't good enough to justify the price for me, not with all the extra channels available with high-quality reception on digital antenna.

I'm not so sure if there's a better option for Internet broadband, though. Can any of you testify to broadband Internet alternatives in Louisville better than Insight at a competitive price? I know ATT trumpets its upgrades to DSL service, but our experiences with it in the past, both through BellSouth/ATT and Iglou, have been slow and unreliable.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Re: Is there any better local broadband than Insight cable?

by Gary Guss » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:20 pm

Sure haven't heard much good to said about ATT's Uverse.. Got anything good to say about Roku, we just picked one up last week and we're exploring whats there to try and cut the cord. We have a paucity of choice here in the US.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:55 pm

Gary Guss wrote:Sure haven't heard much good to said about ATT's Uverse.. Got anything good to say about Roku, we just picked one up last week and we're exploring whats there to try and cut the cord. We have a paucity of choice here in the US.

I really like Roku, Gary, except that for some reason I haven't been able to get it to connect to Insight Internet for the last couple of weeks. I use a combination of Roku (mostly for Netflix), Hulu Plus, and streaming Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora and YouTube (and other sources) from the iPad directly to the flatscreen via HDMI.
We don't really watch much commercial TV anyway. Give me movies and a source of local news and weather and I'll be fine. I'd much rather get my news from the NY Times and other online sources than TV news or the CJ anyway.

Which reminds me, after we cut the cable, I think the CJ may be next ... :P
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:40 pm

With the number of blogs LKY by Rick Redding and such and Gabe Bullard and Phil Bailey probably CJ is pretty much good for wrapping fish and cleaning windows.

Need to find a good fishwrap and paper pressmans hat substitute and I'm ready to let it go
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm hooking Roku through Insight and its working fine, maybe its a router issue or something.

GG
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:42 pm

Gary Guss wrote:I'm hooking Roku through Insight and its working fine, maybe its a router issue or something.

GG

Dunno ... it just quit making the connection to Insight broadband a few weeks ago. The Rokuwill work with an old Iglou DSL modem/router that's still running, and every other wifi item in the house - laptop and office computers and a wifi printer - will all work on Insight broadband. It is only the Roku/Insight connection that quit, and that happened only recently.

One of these days I'll do something like unsubscribe, delete and reinstall Netflix on the Roku. That will probably fix it up.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:05 am

We had Uverse out in Fern Creek and once they got the bugs out, it worked well. Well enough that we kept our Uverse account when we moved :) We got a more steady connection than on Insight. Uverse gets you a dedicated IP where as Insight is shared so if you live in a heavily populated area you may have a poor connection on Insight. Our connection would drop dramatically around 7pm when our neighbors got home with their 3 teenage boys. On Uverse we didn't have to worry about that. It is more expensive though unless you bundle.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:22 pm

My girlfriend has Uverse. It's slower than Insight at the bargain level, but it works pretty well most of the time. There's an issue with their router being limited to only allowing two devices to connect at a time (at least, that's what it looks like to me because if she swaps from laptop to iPad it knocks my laptop offline), but that might be related to the Uverse router.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:24 pm

Ron, check with ATT on that, you may have a bad router or need to have a port opened on your connection. We run 4 computers most of the day as well as our iphones and ipad through the uverse wireless and no one gets booted.