Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: ear-x-tacy future unclear...

by Ron H » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:15 pm

Unfortunately, the future is clear now. Ear X-Tacy has gone the way of the dodo.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/15918224/john ... is-no-more
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron H » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:40 pm

I wish I was beating you to a good news post.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:53 pm

annemarie m wrote:http://www.wdrb.com/story/15906662/future-of-ear-x-tacy-unclear

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that many (most ?) of the people who are pausing to mourn the passing of Ear-X-Tacy are the same people who are sporting 5000 tunes on their Steve Jobs "Eye-Whatever-the-Hell-It-Is-Device"...3000 of which they downloaded or shared illegally and NONE of which were purchased from Ear-X-Tacy. :roll:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:48 am

I do not have one of those. I use the stereo, the car radio and an old fashioned radio in my office. I do not even have any music on my Iphone.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:09 am

Steve P wrote:3000 of which they downloaded or shared illegally and NONE of which were purchased from Ear-X-Tacy. :roll:

Wow. That's quite the assumption.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:50 am

Mike Hardin wrote:
Steve P"3000 of which they downloaded or shared illegally and NONE of which were purchased from Ear-X-Tacy. :roll:

[quote="Mike Hardin wrote:Wow. That's quite the assumption.

<shrugs>...Generalizations for sure but I'm just callin' it like I see it. I have a habit of doing that (which doesn't endear me to some people I am forced to admit)

What the heck though, I may be old but I've got enough 20 to 30-somethings in my circle of peeps to know how this stuff plays out now. For every person that buys a "song" these days (we used to call then "45's" back in the day) there are ten people who end up with that "song" on their Star Trek Fruit Communicator Device. Even if we're talking people who actually pay for their music, for every person that visited Ear-X-Tacy and bought a real live "you can actually touch it" CD or vinyl record there were (probably) ten people who purchased the same music online in a digital format.

In the spirit of full disclosure, this behavior didn't just sprout up in the digital era, my generation probably got the ball rolling back in the 70's and 80's when we would "burn" (we called it "taping" back then) cassette tapes of vinyl records or of songs off the radio so we could play them in our car. Regardless of when it started, the death bell has been ringing for places like Ear-X-Tacy for years, the musical habits of the digital generation just sped up the process a bit.

Please don't infer from my remarks that we shouldn't pay homage to Ear-X-Tacy and the people who managed to keep the doors open for as long as they did...but lets keep in perspective WHY they closed.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:31 pm

One can go back another step and say that vinyl, or recorded music in general put the kibosh on live acts as the regular provider of music in night clubs. Anyway, I don't condemn those that get their music via iTunes and its ilk. This is just another step in......I guess what is called, progress.

Horse drawn carriages, typewriters, encyclopedias, flight engineers, physical media sold in stores, or physical media period.....just a matter of time.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:04 am

Ray Griffith wrote:Horse drawn carriages, typewriters, encyclopedias, flight engineers, physical media sold in stores, or physical media period.....just a matter of time.

If that damn Gutenberg hadn't invented the printing press, reading (and thus education) would still be limited to the wealthy and powerful. It's all been downhill since that ass opened up reading to the masses.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote: [If that damn Gutenberg hadn't invented the printing press, reading (and thus education) would still be limited to the wealthy and powerful. It's all been downhill since that ass opened up reading to the masses.

Gutenberg? Wasn't he a German chef?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:19 pm

TP Lowe wrote:[
Gutenberg? Wasn't he a German chef?

I think it's a Rhine Riesling, actually ...
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron H » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:23 pm

So with Record Store Day around the corner, will any local record stores be picking up Ear X's slack and hosting Record Store Day with the cool releases that come with it, or am I going to have to order online and hope for the best with record delivery via mail?