Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

Need advise about a child with Autism

by BevP » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:36 am

We have been invited to a birthday party Sunday for the child of some friends . He will be 3 , he has not been definitely diagnosed but is showing signs of autism. I want to make sure I get an appropriate gift, I know he does not like loud things and does not handle over stimulation like bright lights . Any suggestions anybody may have would be great....Thanks
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

Re: Need advise about a child with Autism

by Megan Watts » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:36 am

Do you know if he has any particular interests?? My son is 4 and has Autism. He's obsessed with trains. Lines them up, looks at them intently, but isn't too interested in actually making them go. So Thomas trains (especially wooden sets) are amazing gifts for us. He also likes blocks, Matchbox cars. We got him one of those little garages and he loves to send them down the turns. No lights, no sounds. Also art supplies..Color wonder paper and markers are great. So is clay/playdough. (Though Ben has a tendency to eat ours). Dont get anything you have to have really good fine motor skills to do..sometimes that is behind.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks for the ideas...I have noticed alot of things go into his mouth, so I will be careful.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:41 pm

Hey there Bev... my son is borderline Autistic, they say it is too soon to tell but they say he might have a very high functioning form of Autism, Aspergers.

Each child is different in what sensory issues they have. I second the little garages, we bought one of those for my son when he was about 3 and he loved it..... one, it had little stages, so he could line them up (he loves doing that!) and two he liked letting them go down the little track.

Art supplies are big..... something different but still in the drawing theme is a magnadoodle.

http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Doodle-Pock ... B003XVCL3W

My son started off with the small one and it worked well because he could take it in the car with him.

As far as finger paints and clay go, it depends on the child. my son doesnt respond well to them because he does not like to get dirty and hates the texture of them on his hands.

Blocks work well.... you can stack them up and line them up.

I would stay away from the VTech toys. though they are very good and educational, most times they are loud and noisy.

Good luck!
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:26 am

I was thinking about maybe the Duplo Blocks ...I think that is what they are called kind of like big legos after reading what was said on here. My friend has adopted this little boy and sometime seems overwhelmed but is doing the best she can, we are trying to encourge her and her husband to get him into a preschool program as early as possible to see if that may help.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:33 pm

How could i have forgotten legos?! we have the Duplo Blocks as well as the Mega Bloks, the even bigger kind.

My son LOVES them.... he separates them into colors, and makes different things , usually based on color...lol But yeah, definitely a good idea for a gift.

Amen on your friend adopting him! As Megan told me once, being overwhelmed is a part of it. This is still new and hard for me to talk about and i am still learning how to deal. But, yes it is a struggle everyday. Please, please, please tell them that he NEEDS to be in a preschool program. My son was tested and based on his results was accepted into the school Pre-K program due to Developmental Delays. His cognitive scores were very high, for a 4 yr old, he was scoring as high as a 7 yr old, but they said that was expected and normal for high functioning on the spectrum. But his other issues are severe, so that is why they placed him.

He has only been in school for two weeks, but i know it is helping him...... and me. They have different skills that they are teaching to help him and social stories that we keep in a binder for him and read together. i know this little boy would benefit from being in school. The same way i pray for Megan and her son i will add your friends and their little boy to my prayers. It's a difficult journey that we just cannot make alone.
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:44 pm

If she needs someone to talk to..feel free to look me up on FB (Megan Taylor Watts). I'll be more than happy to try and connect her to programs, etc. In fact, if he gets a diagnosis, there is a wonderful program that he can utilize to get services and Medicaid. Also, like Becky said, the school system. Early Intervention is the BEST thing you can do for your child.