Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Crock pot cooking

no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

Crock pot cooking

by Megan Watts » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:08 pm

So thanks to a new group on FB I'm in love with my crock pot. Perfect for e business of life. Does anyone here have any really good recipes at they want to share? I've made balsamic chicken, chicken and dumplings, and getting ready to make pork chops and gravy. I know it's all very simplistic, but I'm not a fantastic chef!
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: Crock pot cooking

by Lois Mauk » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:16 pm

Don't use my crockpot nearly as much as I should. The only real "recipe" I have is for an add-in I make for my dogs from chicken thighs, veggies and rice, pasta or oats. Other than that one, I pretty much just wing it for soups, stews, etc.

I do agree that crockpots are perfect for busy people. Enjoy using yours.

Lois
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:59 am

I have used some recipes from this site:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

MissChele
MissChele
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:19 pm

Puerto Rican Pork Roast

5 cloves garlic
1 onion
2 tablespoons oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 juiced lime
1 juiced orange
3 lb pork shoulder

Marinate overnight, sear on grill or in pan, add everything to crock pot and cook until falling apart. I usually start the roast in the morning and cook it on high until I'm ready for dinner.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:59 pm

Justin beat me to it....

i do it a little differently though.......

garlic
onions
oranges
salt and pepper
oregano
CUMIN!!!
and what i think makes a big difference is Dried Valencia Orange Peel its in a little gourmet spice jar.... of course you dont need to use it. but i like the pumped orange flavor.

i cut up my pork, sometimes i like to use boneless pork loin (believe me you do not miss the fat!). i cut it up into big two inch chunks.

after i juice the oranges, i use two, i slice them up into rings...peel and all.

i also slice two huge onions into rings.

halve the garlic

mix all your spices in a bowl.

quick coat of your crock with spray or olive oil (or use a crock pot bag.... LOVE THEM! )

Then i layer everything in there. meat, spices, onion, garlic, oranges, and just keep going.

it comes out with the flavor of Puerto Rican pork roast.... but you can eat it like Mexican carnitas. i guess it is a melding of my Puerto Rican - Mexican background.

you will have A LOT of stock/juice in your crock pot, i usually save that and the next day i use any leftover meat with ALL of the stock and make some AMAZING rice with pork. WHOA!!!!!! it comes out awesome.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Becky M wrote:Justin beat me to it....

i do it a little differently though.......

garlic
onions
oranges
salt and pepper
oregano
CUMIN!!!
and what i think makes a big difference is Dried Valencia Orange Peel its in a little gourmet spice jar.... of course you dont need to use it. but i like the pumped orange flavor.

Becky,

Where would you find said Dried orange peel? :D
Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:55 pm

Megan,

I Highly recommend Amy's method for making marinara from this thread earlier on this forum :
http://forums.louisvillehotbytes.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12449&p=111636&hilit=Italian+plum#p111636

I've been cooking alot of great dried beans in mine ( from www.ranchogordo.com). I basically follow the "no pre-soak " method at this site: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2010/12/how-to-cook-dried-beans-in-crockpot.html. (My beans from Rancho Gordo are very fresh for dried beans so they cook quicker). I usually add some crushed garlic cloves to the water too as most of the things I make with my beans have garlic in the recipe; it gives them that much more flavor. I salt at the end of cooking. 1 lb o beans gives me enough to cook several different recipes with during the week. Currently, I'm addicted to Sauteed Greens with Cannelini beans & Garlic.

Deb
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Deb, i honestly dont remember where i bought it, but more than likely Kroger. when i shopped at Kroger i didnt shop at Meijer and i believe it was during my Krogering days.

it is really pungent and i love it!
Attachments
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5jcm9zc3JvYWRzLW1hcmtldC5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL0hGU1QyNDcuSlBH==.jpg
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5jcm9zc3JvYWRzLW1hcmtldC5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL0hGU1QyNDcuSlBH==.jpg (9.5 KiB) Viewed 9033 times
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:28 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Megan,

I Highly recommend Amy's method for making marinara from this thread earlier on this forum :
http://forums.louisvillehotbytes.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12449&p=111636&hilit=Italian+plum#p111636

I've been cooking alot of great dried beans in mine ( from http://www.ranchogordo.com). I basically follow the "no pre-soak " method at this site: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2010/12/how-to-cook-dried-beans-in-crockpot.html. (My beans from Rancho Gordo are very fresh for dried beans so they cook quicker). I usually add some crushed garlic cloves to the water too as most of the things I make with my beans have garlic in the recipe; it gives them that much more flavor. I salt at the end of cooking. 1 lb o beans gives me enough to cook several different recipes with during the week. Currently, I'm addicted to Sauteed Greens with Cannelini beans & Garlic.

Deb

i cook beans a lot, as a SAHM stovetop is ok for me. But i have always wanted to try them in the slowcooker. my main reason for not doing so is that i add a lot of stuff to mine but i add it all in after the beans are cooked, so i dont know how that would work in the crockpot.

i usually add half an onion for color and a bit of olive oil for softness. after they are cooked i add in garlic, more chopped onion, sazon, bacon, salt and cumin.... oh and cilantro! and depending on the day tomato sauce, potatoes, and carrots. but... i have no idea how they would come out if all of that was added in the beginning going the slowcooker route.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:22 pm

Corned beef is good in a crock pot.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:02 pm

I have a foolproof crockpot recipe for French Dip sandwiches.

1 3lb roast
1 10.5 oz can French onion soup
1 10.5 oz can beef consumme'
1 10.5 oz can beef broth
1 tsp beef bouillon granules

Cut roast in half. Add all ingredients to crock pot. Cook on low for approx 8 hours. Best stuff you've ever eaten in your life. Use the cooking liquid for au jus, and leftovers can be used for more sammiches, or as base for a great veggie beef soup.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"