Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: The Chick-Fil-A/Libertarian/Gay Marriage thread ;)

by Carla G » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:06 am

I think it was wise for Robin to move the post,; we did get a bit off track there.
But I still think it's a worthy discussion and I appreciate Robin afording us the space in which to discuss the issue. As with many of our discussion on this site I appreciate the time it takes for people to post and share their viewpoints. We are all opened to a certain amount of vulnerability when we expose our innermost feelings. That takes courage. On both sides.

Personally I think 17 or so pages shows the passion evoked by the discussion and the need for this discussion. I understand that this is primarily a site regarding restaurants. If I recall, we got off on this tangent because of Chick-A-Filet's homophobic practices. If I were a Chick-A-Filet manager or stock holder or whatever, I might want to take note of the general public's attitude regarding such things. And personally, I think the public's % of those in favor of allowing gay marraige is WAY over 50%.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:00 am

Other than saying they prefer "married" employees in the quoated article, I'm trying to see how they are "homophobic". I've been inside the local one on Westport and there's nothing to offend?

Interestingly I was recently on the west coast and had lunch at an IN 'n Out Burger - they have bible verses discreetly printed on cups, French fry containers, etc - so small that if you didn't look, you wouldn't see it.

In the end I like a good chicken sandwich and I don't care much about their politics or religion.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:47 am

I appreciate the discussion and passion of this thread and the numerous supportive private messages from others on the site that did not want to jump into this piranha tank. Sometimes, you just have to agree to disagree and support what you feel is right, that's the great thing about living in a democracy.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:31 am

Brian Curl wrote:I appreciate the discussion and passion of this thread and the numerous supportive private messages from others on the site that did not want to jump into this piranha tank. Sometimes, you just have to agree to disagree and support what you feel is right, that's the great thing about living in a democracy.

How true. I have a choice to avoid Chick-whatever because it is homophobic, or because it is a chain, or because the values of the exurb sicken me -- maybe even all three.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:36 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:How true. I have a choice to avoid Chick-whatever because it is homophobic, or because it is a chain, or because the values of the exurb sicken me -- maybe even all three.

A veritable smorgasbord of disdain.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Antonia L wrote:A veritable smorgasbord of disdain.

But only if it's a genuine Swedish smorgasbord.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:26 pm

Brian Curl wrote:I appreciate the discussion and passion of this thread and the numerous supportive private messages from others on the site that did not want to jump into this piranha tank

Well, all I can say is that to all of you that thought this was a piranha tank, you should thank your lucky stars that your civil liberties are not being deprived because of what you are or how you think. This was just a little on line discussion. Nobody lost their job, was prevented from marrying a loved one or harrassed to the point of suicide. What is it about the fear of discussion or debate?
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:47 pm

Carla G wrote:Well, all I can say is that to all of you that thought this was a piranha tank, you should thank your lucky stars that your civil liberties are not being deprived because of what you are or how you think. This was just a little on line discussion. Nobody lost their job, was prevented from marrying a loved one or harrassed to the point of suicide. What is it about the fear of discussion or debate?

Carla, that's exactly it. There's no reason to expect that the deprivation of civil liberties, whether racial, gender or otherwise, would ever occur to the majority straight white males in this country. I'm one of them, and all we see is what stares back at us in the mirror. I'm not stupid enough to think it doesn't apply to me, as well, although I try to keep my eyes open to injustice. After all, it's everywhere.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:I try to keep my eyes open to injustice. After all, it's everywhere.

Thank you Roger. Was it a Franklin (or Burke?) quote that said "All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:23 pm

"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to stand by and do nothing."

Edmund Burke
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Carla G wrote: "All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to stand by and do nothing."

And good women, too. 8)
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:But only if it's a genuine Swedish smorgasbord.

Okay. Smörgåsbord.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:55 pm

Brian Curl wrote:I appreciate the discussion and passion of this thread and the numerous supportive private messages from others on the site that did not want to jump into this piranha tank. Sometimes, you just have to agree to disagree and support what you feel is right, that's the great thing about living in a democracy.

Agreed. Personally, I don't regard my religious beliefs to be of any concern to my employer as long they aren't disrupting business activities. But, Chik-fil-A is a privately-held corporation and they are not acting as an agent of the State, so they have a little more lee-way in their operating practices. If you find their HR policies or Truett Cathy's business philosophy unsettling, then simply don't patronize them (which I suspect many of you don't); but earlier today, I passed a CFA located in the East End, and they were packed, so they likely aren't missing your business. I'm an occasional CFA customer because I like their food, the restaurant is clean and the staff courteous and professional...no one has ever tried to prosthelytize me, and there isn't gospel music played on the premises (unlike a rather annoying experience at a McDonald's in Tennessee I once visited).
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:21 am

Mark Head wrote:Other than saying they prefer "married" employees in the quoated article, I'm trying to see how they are "homophobic". I've been inside the local one on Westport and there's nothing to offend?

You musta missed the guy in the cow suit.

I couldn't sleep for a week.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:29 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Carla G wrote: "All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to stand by and do nothing."

And good women, too. 8)

Trying this again after being magically transmorgafied to another site without any rhyme or reason to it...Robin?

Anyway...what I said earlier is:

Women don't have *time* to stand by. We're busy doing all the stuff, while you (good) guys are busy...erm..."standing by." :roll: :lol:

**runs out of thread before Robin expels me**
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
PreviousNext