Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Google Plus - Coming Soon

no avatar
User

Brian Curl

Google Plus - Coming Soon

by Brian Curl » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Google's big shot at social networking and more. The instant upload of pics and videos definitely peaks my interest. Anyone have any more info or thoughts?

https://plus.google.com/up/start/?sw=1&type=st
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Google Plus - Coming Soon

by Gayle DeM » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:01 pm

I attended a talk on "REVOLUTION, ROMANCE,ROI ON THE CLOUD Social Networking and internet technology advances" yesterday. The speaker stressed that not only was the upload of pics and videos speedily improved but also that security was on a much higher level.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:08 pm

While I do enjoy keeping up with my far flung friends on Facebook, I will drop that particular social media website like a bad habit if Google Plus is half as good. Some of the crap Facebook has pulled over the past year or two has definitely ticked me off.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:06 pm

I'm excited as I'm an Android guy and hopefully this will only make it better...
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 am

Louisville, Ky

by Brian Taylor Clark » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:52 pm

I've been keeping up somewhat, I guess I'll wait to they launch beta to decide. Sounds promising though...
Brian Taylor Clark
Real Estate Agent-Semonin Realtors-502-558-1441
Specializing in Investment Property/Client Sales in the Highlands, Germantown, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:21 am

I use Facebook pretty extensively and hate myself for doing so. I'm not in need of a social networking platform (much less another one), so I'm going to act like Google Plus doesn't exist.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:56 pm

I'll be dropping facebook like a bad habit simply for the fact that I can have the "Circles" and put some family members on silence :) They don't need to know they are basically being ignored and it would be a lot of drama to put them on ignore or just drop them on facebook, but those circles are a fantastic form of control and limitation!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:20 pm

Madeline M wrote:I'll be dropping facebook like a bad habit simply for the fact that I can have the "Circles" and put some family members on silence :) They don't need to know they are basically being ignored and it would be a lot of drama to put them on ignore or just drop them on facebook, but those circles are a fantastic form of control and limitation!

You can actually do that on Facebook by creating "Lists" among your friends, but it's more complicated. I don't bother, but then, I don't have that many friends. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:12 pm

The list thing doesn't give you enough control over who can and can't see your status updates and when you change the single custom setting it backdates any posts so what was once blocked from crazy family is now visible. I have some very conservative family and some very eccentric friends, so it can get a bit crazy sometimes.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Madeline M wrote:The list thing doesn't give you enough control over who can and can't see your status updates and when you change the single custom setting it backdates any posts so what was once blocked from crazy family is now visible. I have some very conservative family and some very eccentric friends, so it can get a bit crazy sometimes.

Eeeuuuwww. :P Nuff said. I don't use lists, so I was just going by what I heard. But based on your persuasive account, I won't plan to start.