Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Homearama 2011

by Heather Y » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:20 am

Last edited by Heather Y on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Homearama 2011

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Wow, I haven't seen pictures of Norton Commons before. Those houses are close together! If I was gonna buy a Sprawlarama McMansion, I wouldn't want to be able to touch my neighbor's house from my kitchen window.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:07 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Wow, I haven't seen pictures of Norton Commons before. Those houses are close together! If I was gonna buy a Sprawlarama McMansion, I wouldn't want to be able to touch my neighbor's house from my kitchen window.

The idea is that it's supposed to look like an urban village with old-looking houses on small lots with city neighborhood proportions. It's kind of a neat idea, and worth a drive out to look around, but ultimately it's a little too much like a Potemkin Village to suit me.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:45 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Wow, I haven't seen pictures of Norton Commons before. Those houses are close together! If I was gonna buy a Sprawlarama McMansion, I wouldn't want to be able to touch my neighbor's house from my kitchen window.

No different from a lot of (older) urban neighborhoods really...and I don't know that I'd put (most) of the homes in the "Sprawlarama McMansion" category. We looked at a couple of homes in Norton Commons when we first moved here and judged the homes to be well built, architecturally attractive and reasonably priced. In the end our outdoor focused suburban loving lifestyle outweighed the community lifestyle offered at Norton Commons but I can certainly see where it would appeal to a lot of people...Nice place overall.

I also hear they build the homes with sustainable locally produced lumber that was humanely harvested. :P 8)
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:12 pm

A similar community was started in the Northern suburbs of Indianapolis maybe 8 years ago. Not a lifestyle choice for me, but this community proved immensely popular despite my initial skepticism, and numerous new sections were opened. I'm not sure how the community has fared with the housing market problems of the last 3 or 4 years.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Norton Commons: The urban aesthetic without the urban reality.

I become pretty involved (as an area of study) with the New Urbanism movement during my undergrad years. It makes sense in some contexts, but I have trouble balancing the theory with the reality that, in suburban settings, it's just another version of sprawl.

Robin, I think I'm in line with your thinking. There's just something about it. Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'll just continue to believe that Norton Commons was the set for "The Truman Show."
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:56 pm

Good afternoon, good morning, and goodnight!
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:49 pm

Steve P wrote:In the end our outdoor focused suburban loving lifestyle outweighed the community lifestyle offered at Norton Commons...

Let me translate this for the resta youze:
They have covenants against drinking in the driveway. :D
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:56 pm

Bill P wrote:
Steve P wrote:In the end our outdoor focused suburban loving lifestyle outweighed the community lifestyle offered at Norton Commons...

:lol: :lol: :lol: .....Bingo, you're in the front row.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:29 pm

Bill P wrote:

And peeing in the backyard.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:08 am

visiting our daughter in NJ. there is a similar development in her area. They promoted it as an older adult housing, but the cheaper prices brought in a lot of young families and now the town school system is bursting at the seams and the referendums to raise property taxes to pay for new schools are being consistently voted down.
Last edited by Suzi Bernert on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:19 am

We take our dogs out there to be groomed. It's really rather quaint and pretty. I don't want to live there, but I enjoy looking at it. :)
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:35 am

Matthew D wrote:Norton Commons: The urban aesthetic without the urban reality.

It is a good idea but it feels like they had to compromise between 'Suburb filled with McMansions" and a "New Urban" design.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:50 am

Since when are two bedroom, two bath houses considered McMansions?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:49 pm

Heather Y wrote:Since when are two bedroom, two bath houses considered McMansions?

Are those condos or free-standing houses, Heather? It's to NC's credit that it does offer a variety of housing styles, and I'm sure it's smart for them to market some housing to DINKS and empty nesters. Still, an awful lot of it does look like faux-antique McMansions on "urban-style" subdivision lots. It's fun. I don't think you've heard anyone in this thread fault it for creativity or an unusual approach to subdivision style. But by its nature, it's controversial, and not everyone is going to love it. My stand all along has been to wonder why anyone would want to build a faux urban neighborhood in the far eastern suburbs when we've got really good real ones inside the Watterson.
Next