Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

JohnS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:13 pm

Metro Animal Services needs cat food

by JohnS » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:28 pm

If anyone is feeling charitable or needs a little karma polishing after a particularly wild weekend, Metro Animal Services is in pretty desperate need of both wet and dry cat foods due to a massive number of kittens and pregnant cats being taken in and sheltered. This weekend they ran completely out of smaller-kibble dry food that is needed for the newly weaned kittens in the facility, so the situation is fairly ugly.

Any kinds of cat food are welcome, tho dry food will need to be either 'kitten' or 'for all ages' to ensure that the kibble isn't too big for the little critters to handle.

Dropoff locations for donations are:

Animal House Adoption Center
3516 Newburg Road

or

Animal Care Center
3705 Manslick Road

If anyone wants to guilt-trip coworkers, etc. and do a collection, I would be more than happy to come pick up anything you collect and deliver it to the shelter as well. PM me here and I will arrange a pickup that fits your schedule.

Any help would be appreciated. (I'd post a sad looking picture of a cute little kitten here, but that would just be mean :wink: )
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

Re: Metro Animal Services needs cat food

by Bill P » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:04 pm

Will a small check work? Where do I send it?
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:11 pm

Got no cat or food, but a little money. Where does it go? :?
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

JohnS

{ RANK }

Foodie

by JohnS » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Ugh - nice to know The Ville Voice reads the forums or has someone feeding them info. Thanks for taking a simple request for food donations DUE TO AN UNEXPECTEDLY LARGE NUMBER OF KITTENS AND PREGNANT FEMALE CATS BEING TAKEN IN and turning it into a nice little agenda post about how Metro Animal Services sucks. Glad you could provide a helpful suggestion or potential solution instead of just being an asshat...

Sarcasm aside, HUGE thanks to one of the forumites who dropped in today with over 60 pounds of kitten food today in the middle of a monsoon.(not sure if you wanted your name mentioned or not, since the nasty Ville Voice thing came out - I wouldn't be shocked if I lose my volunteer position over it because of the bad press, so I didn't want to add names to something linked to that little bit of douchebaggery for the same reason) Had a couple other people show up with donations as well, so the 2 day total is almost 150 pounds of kitten-chewable food and several dozen cans of wet food. That will go a long way towards helping the little critters get started on the way to foster care or direct adoption.

Metro does take monetary donations at either location for those who asked. They can also be mailed to

Metro Animal Services
New Building Fund
P.O. Box 16346
Louisville, KY 40256

Thanks again to those who helped or are considering helping.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:37 am

JohnS wrote:Ugh - nice to know The Ville Voice reads the forums or has someone feeding them info. Thanks for taking a simple request for food donations DUE TO AN UNEXPECTEDLY LARGE NUMBER OF KITTENS AND PREGNANT FEMALE CATS BEING TAKEN IN and turning it into a nice little agenda post about how Metro Animal Services sucks. Glad you could provide a helpful suggestion or potential solution instead of just being an asshat...

I wouldn't worry too much, John. The news blogs around town are still well short of prime time, or prime readership. I hope the Interwebs step up as print news fails (CJ laid off 50 yesterday :( ), but there's a way to go before that happens.
no avatar
User

JohnS

{ RANK }

Foodie

by JohnS » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I wouldn't worry too much, John. The news blogs around town are still well short of prime time, or prime readership. I hope the Interwebs step up as print news fails (CJ laid off 50 yesterday :( ), but there's a way to go before that happens.

Probably right Robin, but this one was personal, and had it not turned out well, it might have cost me my volunteer spot since everyone is hyper-sensitive after the LHS audit and related stuff. I enjoy my time there and try to stay out of the political side of and focus on the critters, so being drawn into it by someone else kinda irritated me a little.

Honestly, the Ville Voice jab had the completely opposite effect - several people who came in and donated food mentioned that that they were doing so because the cheap shot blog bit made them angry. :D

Over 400 pounds of dry food, probably 100 cans of wet food, some medical supplies, and cat formula were donated by individuals so far that I know of. Oh, and two pallets of mixed packages of dog and cat food/treats were dropped off by Dare to Care as well. Not bad for 4 days.

Thanks again to any and all who donated and/or informed others who did.

And I said I wouldn't do it, but... (This is Heidi - I think she was adopted today, but it is probably one of the best pictures I have taken at the shelter since I started helping with the Petfinder photography)

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:19 pm

JohnS wrote:And I said I wouldn't do it, but... (This is Heidi - I think she was adopted today, but it is probably one of the best pictures I have taken at the shelter since I started helping with the Petfinder photography)

GREAT animal photo! I'm glad you did post it, John. Excellent work. Focusing on the eyes while the furball is looking at you is really the secret to lovable pet photos.