Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Charlottesville, VA Recomendations

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Kurt Resener

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:36 pm

Charlottesville, VA Recomendations

by Kurt Resener » Tue May 24, 2011 8:30 am

Family and I will be overnighting in Charlottesville en route to the Outer Banks next week. Anyone have any suggestions for a memorable dinner there? Lots of great looking choices there, hard to decide on one!

Kurt
no avatar
User

Harold B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 am

Re: Charlottesville, VA Recomendations

by Harold B » Tue May 24, 2011 9:02 am

Kurt,

We were there in April. Our dinner was fine but not memorable (take out from a Mediterrean place near the University). Lunch the next day at Christian's Pizza on the pedestrian plaza was very good. (Can you tell we were there with our 7 and 3 year old?) Monticello in the Spring is probably the prettiest vista I have seen in a while.

If you have time you should check out Ablemarle Ciderworks outside of the city. Excellent old-time hard cider recipes with tastings in an cute cottage style building surrounded by an apple orchard.

Harold
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed May 25, 2011 12:08 am

Just went earlier this month with the family to Williamsburg, VA, and the most memorable meal we had (actually, of any trip we've been on!) was Freemason Abbey in downtown Norfolk (right next to the Nauticus museum). It was recommended by a friend who is from Norfolk. The she-crab soup was absolutely wonderful, and the seafood fantasia pasta was sublime. The day we went, on a Friday, was wild game night, and the venison was very good!

Norfolk is 3 hours southeast of Charlottesville. We stopped for meals in Charleston, WV, and Lexington, VA. We really enjoyed the tomato pie at the Riverside Anchor in Charleston. They also had a delicious sounding crab-stuffed portobello mushroom entree, which sadly was sold out when we got there. The place we stopped at in Lexington (Redwood Restaurant) was forgettable- although the AAA book made it sound so much better. Basically, along the I-64 corridor, the main place listed was Tudor's Biscuit World. Not exactly the high point of dining choices!

But I would definitely go out of my way to go to Freemason Abbey!!!

If you are in Lexington and like antiques, go to Duke's. It is well worth a stop!
no avatar
User

Kurt Resener

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:36 pm

by Kurt Resener » Tue May 31, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks for the Norfolk suggestions, We'll be driving right through Norfolk at non dining hours so will file away for some other time.
I always wonder about those Tudors Biscuit World places, too! They're every half mile around Charleston, someday I'll stop and try it.