Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Washington DC

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Washington DC

by GaryF » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:34 am

Well, I just bought theater tix so I need a place to stay.
Any recs for a moderately priced hotel or B&B? I'll be there in June for 3 or 4 days.
no avatar
User

Trisha W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:51 am

Re: Washington DC

by Trisha W » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:18 pm

I've always (3 times...does that count as always?) stayed at the Marriot right near the monuments.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

by GaryF » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks Trisha.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:40 pm

Gary,

Our favorite is the Melrose Hotel- site of our elevator that kept going up and down... :wink: :D
http://www.melrosehoteldc.com/index.aspx

Don't know how room rates are now, but it was a very nice hotel for the price. By GW University- not monuments, but we walked and took Metro everywhere. I liked the great college neighborhood.

We loved this restaurant too. Need to take a cab but we felt like we were actually in Morocco. Check reviews though- it's been 7 years.

http://www.marrakesh.us/

Deb
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:43 pm

I'm heading there for a few days at the end of March for a conference. I see Marrakesh above - any other restaurant recommendations?
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:27 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:I'm heading there for a few days at the end of March for a conference. I see Marrakesh above - any other restaurant recommendations?

A few recs:
Plume at the Jefferson Hotel: http://www.jeffersondc.com/restaurant-dining/
On the formal side and quite expensive, but excellent. The food was outstanding, and there were nice touches like complimentary champagne to start. The service was a little hoity-toity, but efficient. I stayed at the hotel, thus my meal there. The chef is apparently highly acclaimed.

The bar at the hotel is also good. It's very small, but focuses on classic/craft cocktails and the bartenders are all nice and willing to engage a solo business traveler in conversation.

The hotel is a good stay as well. Fully renovated a few years ago, it was quite luxurious with a price-tag far less than other hotels in the area. The staff was incredibly friendly.

Restaurant Nora: http://www.noras.com/
This place apparently was a very early entrant into the organic/local movement. It's in a beautiful old house in a quiet, neighborhood-y part of DuPont Circle, but only a short walk from the bustle. The food and service were exceptional, and the prices were good for D.C. I highly, highly recommend.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

by GaryF » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:50 am

Thanks Brad. I think I'm staying near DuPont Circle so I'll check out Restaurant Nora for sure.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:39 am

GaryF wrote:Thanks Brad. I think I'm staying near DuPont Circle so I'll check out Restaurant Nora for sure.

Yes, do, Gary. I had the Sunnyside Farm baby lettuces & Belgian endive salad (with local goat cheese, roasted pears, toasted hazelnuts, port wine vinaigrette) and applewood smoked Amish duck breast (with farro verde risotto, oyster mushrooms, snow peas, charred frisée, maple sherry sauce), and both were outstanding. The duck was especially good and not overcooked as I find at many restaurants.

If you're not wanting full bottles of wine, they offer a large selection of half bottles. The menu states that the half bottles are "in lieu of" wines by the glass, but they do in fact have a few by the glass offerings that are quite good. Just ask your server. Also, unlike just about everywhere else I went in D.C., you can get a good bourbon (like Rock Hill Farms or Blanton's) for around $10 (compared to $17 just about all other places).

If you want a good watering hole close to thre restaurant, go to James Hoban's (http://www.jameshobansdc.com/). A nice selection of whiskies and whiskeys, and other things, reasonably priced (LaPhroiag by the glass for around $10).
-Alton Brown
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:03 pm

http://www.circaatdupont.com/

It has been a few years, but we had a great meal at Circa. I can't remember what we had, but it was all good and reasonably priced. The also had great cocktail and beer offerings.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:45 pm

We stayed out in Arlington and the hotels were nice and reasonable. Plus the metro will get you anywhere and we were a five minute walk from the platform.

If you want to get to something different check out Oohhs and Aahhs, it's a soul food place in a neat little historic area. Lots of art in the area as well.

Our favorite place was a burger joint called Big Bunz...hands down the best burger I've ever had. We were in DC for two weeks and hit BB at least 6 times. You can eat out in the courtyard and there is a nice wine bar next door you can order from as well.
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Wed May 04, 2011 3:39 pm

I'm going back to DC this Christmas (lived there for 3 years) and the only restaurant on my MUST DO list is Jaleo... a very good local chain (Tapas bar). It's not cheap, but it is good.

I have fond memories of some other places, but Jaleo is where I'd go if I had one meal in DC.

In case you are curious, the other things on my TO DO list in DC:
Visit the FDR memorial again. It's great. Open, usually not too crowded, interesting and fun to walk around.

Go to my butcher, Pam, at Wagshal's. DC was the first place I sought out quality meat, and Pam was a great guide... I will be cooking for the in laws, and will be getting the supplies from them.

Ride the Metro... I miss good public transportation

Grab a drink in Atomic Billiards... not recommended for others, this was the closest dive bar to my apartment.

Get a Slurpee from 7-11 (I miss them!) and go to the zoo... There is a 7-11 in front of the zoo, and a slurpee is the perfect companion to walking through the zoo.
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Tue May 10, 2011 5:23 pm

Hope I'm not too late to chime in with some recommendations. Along with Will, I highly recommend Jaleo. It's a good choice for lunch which can be as much or little as your appetite allows. Don't overindulge and ruin dinner! Another lunch spot is Michel Richard Central. Run by the chef of Citronelle the charcuterie board is a great lunch choice. The Foie Gras is to die for. The bill will be much more reasonable than dinner at Citronelle.

My favorites for dinner are the Mini-bar at Cafe Atlantico and Komi. Both are tasting menus. The mini-bar is 35 courses by Chef Jose Andres and Komi is about 20 courses. The mini-bar is the most fun I have had not in a bed!

Washington is my favorite food city. Politics makes for lots of business for restaurateurs which keeps prices in check (relatively speaking) and there is a tremendous variety of authentic cuisines. Roberto Donna has re-opened Galileo III recently to some mixed reviews dealing with opening jitters but I bet by June he has worked out the kinks and is ready to go. My last meal at Galileo II was superb.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 10, 2011 11:51 pm

TimT wrote:Hope I'm not too late to chime in with some recommendations. .

Welcome to the forum, Tim! Glad you found your way here. No worries on timing, either - even if you were too late for this trip, we keep these discussions around so others can read through them later on when planning trips.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:21 am

We're in DC this weekend and feeling pretty freewheeling, so if anyone has any additional suggestions, throw 'em out. We've got a res at Old Ebbitt for Saturday night, just for hoots. Had a late dinner tonight at Circa in Dupont, which was lovely but the crowd was quite young and ridiculous. We're staying by Dupont Circle and love the Metro.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:39 am

http://benschilibowl.com/about/

Ben's Chili Bowl is an experience.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/