Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Corned Beef Hash

no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

Corned Beef Hash

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:59 am

Over the past few years, really fallen in love w/ this breakfast classic, mainly due to one place ----> Winchell's in Lexington.

If you've never had theirs, or eaten breakfast there period, it's a must. By far my favorite breakfast in the area, and their Hash is notches above any I've ever had.

Is there anywhere to get good Hash in Louisville?

I ask, b/c I don't think I've ever been as diappointed in a breakfast as I was w/ my Corned Beef Hash at Dish on Market yeseterday.

Hash? Hardly. Cubes of corned beef essentially tossed for a few seconds w/ standard home fries, w/ 2 eggs on the side. There wasn't anything "hash" about it. Extremely disappointing.

Everything else was great, however. My lassie had the Chocolate Chip Almond pancakes, and we split a side of biscuit/gravy, both were excellent.
no avatar
User

Chris LM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: Corned Beef Hash

by Chris LM » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:42 am

Wild Eggs has decent corned beef hash, but not great. It's made with sliced deli meat which is not the best way to do it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:51 am

North End Cafe has a hash that a lot of people like, but to me it suffers from the same issue that Adrian mentions of Winchell's: Big chunks.

I wonder if Waffle House has good corned beef hash. ;) I hope we get a definitive answer to this question. I do love a hot mound of CBH with a sunnyside-up fried egg on top.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:57 am

Verbena Cafe
http://verbenacafe.com/

Corned Beef Verbena Hash - Our homemade hand cut Corned Beef and Verbena Browns topped
with two Eggs any style with our Artisan Bread of the day - 9.45

I'll also vouch for the:

Nutella Waffles - Golden brown Waffles topped with Nutella and Whipped Cream - 6.25

Caliente! Omelet - Pork Carnitas, Onion, Pepper Jack Cheese, topped with Black Bean Corn Relish, Salsa and Sour Cream - 9.25
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Chris LM wrote:Wild Eggs has decent corned beef hash, but not great. It's made with sliced deli meat which is not the best way to do it.

Hmmmmm...perhaps this is a recent change. But both times I've had the Hash at Verbena it was the real deal (not made with sliced deli meat) and was pretty darn good. I know I'd recommend it.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Just so we're clear, DISH had the big chunks...

...Winchell's has what I consider a true "Hash", and by far the best I've ever had. They also serve it with two OverEasy/Poached eggs resting a top, w/ a side of sausage gravy. It's to die for. :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:33 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Just so we're clear, DISH had the big chunks...

...Winchell's has what I consider a true "Hash", and by far the best I've ever had. ...

Oops, sorry, I read too fast. Maybe Dish is channeling North End Cafe? I love the migas at North End, or some breakfast tacos ...
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:North End Cafe has a hash that a lot of people like, but to me it suffers from the same issue that Adrian mentions of Winchell's: Big chunks.

I have always liked the hash at North End Cafe. Sometimes it has big chunks but most times it's very good. Probably depends on who made it.
JustinHammond wrote:Verbena Cafe
http://verbenacafe.com/

Corned Beef Verbena Hash - Our homemade hand cut Corned Beef and Verbena Browns topped
with two Eggs any style with our Artisan Bread of the day - 9.45

+1 I definitely have to agree with that! Actually everything I've ever had from the menu there is a very good. I've tried something different every time we have been there just to explore. Their artisan bread is made in house and is wonderful
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Not a big CBH fan, but...

Winchell's rules!!!

Fied bologna and eggs = breakfast of champs, and they do pour quite a drink.

DD
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:48 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Over the past few years, really fallen in love w/ this breakfast classic, mainly due to one place ----> Winchell's in Lexington.

If you've never had theirs, or eaten breakfast there period, it's a must. By far my favorite breakfast in the area, and their Hash is notches above any I've ever had.

I had heard of Winchell's but had never been there so I went to look at their website. Is there corned beef hash an off the menu item? I couldn't find it anyplace on the menu.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"