Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Douglass Loop pharmacy closing

by Alanna H » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:10 pm

Wow, this was quite a surprise to me.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... /703140385
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Douglass Loop pharmacy closing

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:49 pm

Alanna H wrote:Wow, this was quite a surprise to me.

I almost hate to bring this up, but it's yet another example of mega-chains increasingly dominating the market and making it difficult for small businesses to survive, no matter how much of a commitment they make to quality.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Dattilos

by Steve Shade » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:03 pm

I almost hate to bring this up, but it's yet another example of mega-chains increasingly dominating the market and making it difficult for small businesses to survive, no matter how much of a commitment they make to quality.[/quote]

Dattilos was at the Douglas Loop for years next to the pharmacy. They moved across from Bowman Field a number of years ago. I just went by there a little while ago and it looks they are closed.
no avatar
User

Breelyn Bomba

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:01 am

by Breelyn Bomba » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:04 pm

I worked at Douglass Pharmacy for about a year during 04-05 and was not too surprised that is was closing! Sad to say but Medicare part D is mostly to blame. They do not pay enough to cover the costs of a lot of drugs people are getting, but Doug who is the owner is basically required to give them what they have asked for no matter what Medicare pays for. Chain stores have the front of house to cover their costs, Douglass pharmacy did a lot of delivery throughfore did not get the FOH sales that are needed now a days to cover the costs of rising RXs.

I almost cried when Amy ( the pharm tech there) called to tell me what I was going to get in the mail the next day ( a letter saying that they were going to be closing), so SAD to see such a great, friendly, locally owned place go, but Doug had to do what was best for him and his family!
Remember the other locally owned places Stevens in St Matthews and Wagners on 4th next to Church Hill Downs.