Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Trader Joe's in Louisville

by Nimbus Couzin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:42 pm

St. Matthews rumor.

At the site of the Craftman Collection (?) and Kid Castle on Shelbyville Rd.. Apparently, the tenants there said their leases were non-renewed because a trader joe's is coming to town!

A second source has also made this claim.

Let's keep our fingers crossed..

Nimbus
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Trader Joe's in Louisville

by Mark R. » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:01 pm

If they're really considering going into that plaza however why they wouldn't consider the old Wild Oats location? Since it was already a grocery store the transition would be much easier.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:08 pm

Nimbus Couzin wrote:Let's keep our fingers crossed.

So we actually WANT a national chain to come in and increase the competitive pressure on our locals?
no avatar
User

Michelle F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:11 pm

by Michelle F » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:31 pm

I don't believe that rumor....
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:56 pm

TJ's opening soon list. Nope, no Louisville.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Michelle F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Michelle F » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:12 pm

I've HEARD of 2 reasons, our median income is not high enough, and because no wine sales in grocery stores here.

Sucks :(. I LOVE TJ's!
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nimbus Couzin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:18 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

So we actually WANT a national chain to come in and increase the competitive pressure on our locals?

Actually, yes. Sometimes it takes competition for improvement. What do we have that is in any way comparable to TJ's for quality and price? I almost always go there when I'm in Cincy or Indy.
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nimbus Couzin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:19 pm

annemarie m wrote:i'm with michelle on this one. besides you can go on their website and it lists all new trader joe's coming and louisville is not on their list. for the letter K, kansas is showing a traders joe's coming soon. for the midwest region.

The official list is just that, official. Just because it isn't on the list yet doesn't mean it isn't coming.
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Michelle F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Michelle F » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:29 pm

Nimbus Couzin wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Actually, yes. Sometimes it takes competition for improvement. What do we have that is in any way comparable to TJ's for quality and price? I almost always go there when I'm in Cincy or Indy.

I agree. I will make TJ's part of a day trip up to Cinci, and fill up 2 coolers. All kinds of good buys, that I can not find here.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:00 pm

Michelle F wrote:I've HEARD of 2 reasons, our median income is not high enough, and because no wine sales in grocery stores here.
Sucks :(. I LOVE TJ's!

I really don't think that the wine sales is a big issue because they can always do it like Whole Foods does, that's a very simple solution. I'm really not clear on how the law is worded because places like Liquor Barn sell food in the same store where they sell liquor and wine. Also World Market has a separate area for wine and they sell even less food in the store than liquor barn does?

The median income issue may determine where in Louisville they would locate a store (the location mentioned would work nicely) but I don't think the median income of the entire area would have much effect because of the distances involved.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

JohnS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:13 pm

by JohnS » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:30 pm

The wine in groceries argument is a load of hooey - they have stores in Nashville, which also bans the sale of wine/liquor/High ABV beer in grocery stores. Unless those stores are somehow failing because of the lack of wine sales, that is not part of what is keeping a store out of Louisville.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:30 pm

I must be missing something...Can someone please tell me exactly what (besides cheap/marginally good wine) the appeal is for Trader Joe's ? We had a TJ's in Minneapolis and visited it several times. I have no recollection of any great "bargains" nor of them carrying any products that couldn't be found elsewhere. We found the entire concept and execution kinda "meh".
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

JohnS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:13 pm

by JohnS » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:03 pm

Steve P wrote:I must be missing something...Can someone please tell me exactly what (besides cheap/marginally good wine) the appeal is for Trader Joe's ? We had a TJ's in Minneapolis and visited it several times. I have no recollection of any great "bargains" nor of them carrying any products that couldn't be found elsewhere. We found the entire concept and execution kinda "meh".

For me, it's all about almond butter with toasted flaxseeds and sea salt. That stuff is pure crack.

Most of the products sold there that I have picked up to try on my almond butter missions are as good or better than those available in regular or specialty groceries (pasta sauces, frozen foods, etc. ) and are usually much less expensive. They also carry alot of organic products as well, none of which have the usual '20% markup for using the word 'organic' on the label.

I couldn't care less about the wine part - I couldn't tell the difference between Mad Dog 20/20 and a $400 bottle of <insert type of wine here>, since both are equally nasty to my palate - but for good quality staples and some interesting specialty foods at reasonable prices, TJ's is hard to beat.
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nimbus Couzin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:46 pm

Steve P wrote:I must be missing something...Can someone please tell me exactly what (besides cheap/marginally good wine) the appeal is for Trader Joe's ? We had a TJ's in Minneapolis and visited it several times. I have no recollection of any great "bargains" nor of them carrying any products that couldn't be found elsewhere. We found the entire concept and execution kinda "meh".

It might not be for everyone. I've been shopping there (when possible) since the early 1980's, and have liked it since the beginning. Early on, it was simple foods like high quality bread, a wide selection of cheeses, and a wide selection of nuts. All at killer prices. A college student can really appreciate the combination of high quality and low prices. I still do appreciate that combo, but anyone on a tight budget who appreciates quality will find that a great feature for a store.

As time went on, I did buy some wine there. When I lived in Tucson, they were EXTREMELY supportive of local products, including the local beers I brewed. Tucson stores alone regularly sold 100 cases per month of my beer. So I do feel they are a strong supporter of local business.

I have gone through phases where I purchase different products there. For awhile it was mini-artichokes (fresh). Or their wide (and cheap) selection of excellent frozen entrees (at about half the price of comparable items anywhere else). Or cheap vitamins. Or fruit juices. Or hummus. Or their coffee blends (before I roasted my own). Recently, I've been getting their indian meal entrees. About two bucks for a tasty meal of indian food.

My grandmother used to alway stock up on the specialty chocolates and desert items. Little dainty cookies and similar. She also went for some of their nuts selections.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch.

They don't have a massive selection. You won't find 85 different brands of spaghetti sauce there. But what you do find is generally very good quality, and generally cheaper than elsewhere.

That, Steve P, is - in a nutshell - what you're missing . But again, it isn't for everyone. But it sure is for me. And I think it is a significant step in the right direction for Louisville, if and when it actually makes it. (I believe it is a when, rather than an if, in spite of our state's moronic wine laws).

Cheers
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:19 pm

Amen, Nimbus. Although my experience with Trader Joe's is limited to my visits to Indy to see my sis and bro, I'm a big fan.

I think it's definitely worthy to remark about the cheeriness of the staff. I would venture to guess they are a good company to be employed by because those people couldn't be nicer.
Next