Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:19 pm

John R. wrote:Robin doesn't seem to share my tastes. His experience was just ok at Thai smile.

Thai Smile showed me a lot of potential, John, and I absolutely loved the first Thai Smile in Louisville, the short-lived one on Hurstbourne, but they had a serious problem when they (apparently) changed management, and the newer managers really let it slide.

Thinking aloud, the one on Preston started off slow, reportedly changed management and got much better. Starting to see a pattern here?

A follow-up question: We went to Thai Smile V for lunch, when they seemed to function primarily in an almost fast-food mode with quick lunches. I did order off the dinner menu, but now I'm wondering if there's much difference between lunch and dinner there. Do you go often enough to have an opinion on that?
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

Vietnam Kitchen

by Caroline K » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:58 pm

Had the best GREEN CURRY!!!!!!!!!!! Finally went out three and tried this Gem and can't wait to go back... :D
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:54 pm

You are too funny!! LOL.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:21 pm

Robin,

Ah, good question. When I go there has been no more than 3 groups of patrons, if any for that matter. Why didn't I think of the lunch possibility..... I have not been there for lunch, unfortunately. I talk to the owner more than I would prefer. Great guy but it gets old and he doesn't stop. He has mentioned to me that his lunch hour(s) is very assembly line. How that effects the taste, I can't say without conjecture. If the busy vs. slow experience in "quality of taste" holds up, as you may and have presumed, I would say that you can put another hash mark in the fork on the "don't eat when it's busy" side. BUT my experiences have been very consistent, so it may just be that you have other preferences. I will check it out for lunch and get back with you.

The current Thai Smile 5 story, as I remember....., a friend of the current owner holds the Thai Smile name and all the Lexington restaurants. Which, without to much of a stretch, one would guess there are at least 5. The previous owners of the Preston Restaurant were young guys trying to make a quick buck and we see how that turns out. It was rather awful at that time, I try to dissassociate that experience. Anyway, it is obvious what happened to them and the new owners, who had a successful thai restaurant in Florida, were asked by the thai smile namessake, to come in, use the name and clean up the image. That's a fairly accurate regurgitation. They have succeeded in being better than their predecessor..........which I think Mcdonald's had better thai than their predecessors.
User

Colin M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:39 pm

crescent hillbilly

by Colin M » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:12 pm

I am so thrilled to see you can byobottle to simply thai!!! any others like this in town?
Previous