Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Looking for church in the Highlands

by Alanna H » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm

I was not raised in the church at all, was just spiritual on my own. I did convert to Catholicism about six years ago when my daughter was in Catholic elementary school. Have been out of the church for the past four years :oops: but stayed spiritual and tried to instill a sense of faith in my children.
We just recently moved to the Highlands and have so many churches in our neighborhood (Grinstead). I would love to start attending services again and find a new church home. I will be the first to tell you that I don't know what sets one denomination off from another. So at this point that's not really important to me as long as it is Christian based. I have just found the Catholic church to be very lacking in any kind of youth-centered activities and am ready to try something different. I would really like to find someplace that is family-oriented, lots of youth involvement (I have a 13 and 7 year old). And I know church services are not there to entertain you but hoping to find a place that, to put it nicely, won't put me to sleep. Something upbeat and happy- no fire and brimstone, you're going to h e ll if you do this, kind of sermons.
Thanks in advance for any ideas or opinions!
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi Alanna,

I have several friends who attend Highland Presbyterian Church. They like it for its upbeat message and a host of activities. They also do a lot of local and regional activism and do quite a bit of interfaith dialogue and service projects. The Presbyterians are not known for any fire and brimstone throwdown. Good luck in your quest.

Highland Presbyterian Church
1011 Cherokee Rd.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:18 pm

Hi, Alanna!

Alanna said:

And I know church services are not there to entertain you but hoping to find a place that, to put it nicely, won't put me to sleep.Something upbeat and happy- no fire and brimstone, you're going to h e ll if you do this, kind of sermons.

I know this will start a firestorm (no pun intended, I promise) of replies, but let me ask you several questions to consider. Do you really think that a God who does not care about people breaking His law is really worthy of your time and energy? What kind of God is it that says "You can believe what you want, you can define My institution of marriage however you want, you can even define Me however you want, I don't care." I mean, if all you want to do is community service, why not join a club for that. If what you want is positive reinforcement, just turn on Dr Phil. Yes, the Christian life is one of joy, but it is not a joy divorced from reality. The reality is that God is holy and we are sinners. The joy is that God saves sinners (on His terms, of course.)

Will we finite creatures be the ones that decide that things like hell and sin and judgment are not important? Will we, whose life is but a vapor, be the ones who decide that God has not spoken, that all is up for grabs, and that God accepts everyone no matter what they do or believe?

I know of churches that would give you what you want. But that would not be beneficial to you. I am a sinner too, but praise be to God that He sent Jesus Christ to die for my sins and, by God's grace through faith, I have been forgiven and now, instead of receiving the displeasure I so justly deserve, I am accepted as righteous because of the perfect obedience of Christ. Now, instead of being one that hates God (Romans 3:10-12), I have a new heart that seeks to honor God and to obey Him (Romans 8:1-14).

I am praying that God will open your eyes to this, as He has mine. As to a good church near the Highlands, I have friends that go to Clifton Baptist. I go to Reformed Baptist of Louisville, which is out near Fisherville which obviously is a drive from the Highlands.

Hey, I would even direct you to Redeemer Presbyterian (PCA) in the Highlands, although I am a Baptist (they are a true church, just a little wrong on baptism).
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:41 pm

MarieP. said

"Will we, whose life is but vapor, be the ones who decide that God has not spoken, that all is up for grabs, and that God accepts everyone no matter what they do and believe?"

My God said that if She didn't accept everyone no matter what they did or believed then She wouldn't be God.
:D
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:05 pm

Ed said:

My God said that if She didn't accept everyone no matter what they did or believed then She wouldn't be God.

Heh.

I would argue that there is no such thing as a relativist. We all know there are things that is a right and a wrong. Why is it that when some thief comes and breaks in to your house and steals your belongings, no one ever says, "Oh, well, he had the right to do that. To him, that was a good thing he did! Who am I to judge him?" Why is it that when a doctor says "You must have medicine x to cure your disease," we would think it foolish for the patient to reply "Why you are so narrow-minded!"

Also, isn't the statement "There are no absolutes" an absolute?
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:50 pm

You could argue that there is no such thing as a relativist but that would be a philosophical arguement and not a religious one.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:19 pm

.....I know of churches that would give you what you want. But that would not be beneficial to you

Ooops! I'm sorry. I must have mistakenly stumbled into the Louisville Self-righteous Forum on my way to the kitchen. I'll be on my way now. She says as she carefully backs her way toward the door. Click.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:44 pm

MarieP wrote:I am praying that God will open your eyes

Insh'Allah!
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:09 pm

I'm sorry for any trouble, Robin. There was such good response to the person looking for a mechanic that I thought I might get some recommendations for what I was looking for as well. I was hoping that there would be no personal attacks or judgements against anyone.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:22 pm

Alanna H wrote:I'm sorry for any trouble, Robin. There was such good response to the person looking for a mechanic that I thought I might get some recommendations for what I was looking for as well. I was hoping that there would be no personal attacks or judgements against anyone.

There's nothing to apologize for, Alanna! It was, and is, a good question, and I honestly believe that Marie's comments were well-intended, even if ... well, let's not go there. ;)

It's a splendid topic, though, worth trying to save it. I'll yank it back on track, or try to, by observing that you <i>might</i> find some of the things you like about Catholicism at the St. William community, which isn't in the Highlands but is only about a 5-10 minute drive west to 15th and Oak streets and is not a neighborhood parish but city-wide, with a lot of participants from the Highlands and Crescent Hill. I'm not sure how best to describe it other than as a Vatican II community in the age of Benedict, welcoming to everyone and open-minded about diversity, a truly liberal parish in a (sadly) increasingly conservative denomination. Unless you've had some experiences to put you off the Catholic option entirely, it's something you might want to look into.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:40 pm

In all sincerity I stand by both of my post's. No attack or disrespect meant or made. :D
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:58 pm

I'm sorry if I was a little snarky. I had hoped that the humor would soften the message. It just drives me up a wall sideways when someone says that theirs is the only true religion....or the only correct interpretation....or speaks in absolutes and so forth.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:11 pm

Leann C wrote:I'm sorry if I was a little snarky. I had hoped that the humor would soften the message. It just drives me up a wall sideways when someone says that theirs is the only true religion....or the only correct interpretation....or speaks in absolutes and so forth.

No complaints from me, Leann. I feel the same way, and I think most of us probably do.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:00 am

I do appreciate the responses- you all have given me a couple of good choices to look at. :D
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Highland Methodist

by Steve Shade » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:19 am

Alanna H wrote:I do appreciate the responses- you all have given me a couple of good choices to look at. :D

I have a couple of friends that attend Highland Methodist. Corner of Patterson and Cherokee Rd. Patterson is where Lilly's and Keith's Hardware store is located.

Very inclusive and low key. Beautiful facility. Was at a wedding a few years ago and the place was perfect.

They have a boy scout troop. Don't know about other youth activities.
I was in this boy scout troop (but not a member of the church), but it has been so long ago that I can't really say how it is now.
Next