Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Lunch today at Mayan Cafe

User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Lunch today at Mayan Cafe

by Leah S » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:29 pm

I'm not sure what to say, and I've been thinking about it since lunch. There was a 1/2 pulled chicken sandwich special with a cup of the seafood bisque that hubby got. Hubby thought the bisque was different than it was at the Gyspy, and I believe some others have noted that as well. He said it was good, but different. Since he is getting over the flu, I was not brave enough to eat after him.

I had a roasted veg sandwich with some kick-it-up-a-notch fresh cayene pepper sauce.

I'm one of those annoying customers who sometimes orders off menu, or asks for a modification. I asked if I could get the Special, but instead of the chicken sandwich (I don't eat meat) perhaps could get 1/2 veg sandwich and a cup of bisque. Our server didn't even take a breath before saying no.

And she was as perky as Rachel Ray, which today was just annoying. I still tipped well, and the food was fine, but the experience was . . .ehh.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

That's exactly how my experience was after their reincarnation. Same dishes as well....sans the modification. The veggie sandwich, for us was soggy and had overcooked textures. It wasn't quite like the Gypsy. Hmm. I will have to try it again with different menu items.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:32 pm

Frankly I much prefer the Veg press sandwich at Havana Rumba. I seem to think they're about the same price too. $8. Only at Mayan Cafe you get no sides. At HR you get those wonderful sweet potato fries. Do I have the prices wrong?
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

Same here

by Casey J. » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:13 pm

A group of us ate there a few weeks ago and it did not leave much of an impression.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:32 pm

Bummer. I'm going with some friends for dinner on Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes.