Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Brown Hotel Kentucky Opera Pre-Opera Dinners and Brunch

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:10 am

The Brown Hotel plans a series of opera-inspired dinners in The English Grill, and Pre-Opera Sunday Brunch in J. Graham’s Café, associatew with Kentucky Opera fall season performances in the Brown Theatre next door.

Executive Chef Laurent Géroli's three-course prix fixe dinners are designed as culinary matches for each opera. Pre-Opera Dinners will be $34 per person plus tax and 20% gratuity. Seating times will be between 5:30 and 6:30 pm. Reservations are required and can be made by calling (502) 583-1234, ext. 7166.

Friday, September 24, 2010, Pre-Opera Dinner for Mascagni’s “Cavalleria Rusticana” And Ruggiero Leoncavallo’s “I Pagliacci” – will begin with Arancini Allo Zafferano with Tomato Sauce (Saffron Risotto Croquettes), followed by Pescespada alla Siciliana (Swordfish Sicilian Style), and ending with Cassata (Sicilian Cheesecake) for dessert.

Friday, October 22, 2010, Pre-Opera Dinner for Gaetano Donizetti’s “The Elixir of Love” – will begin with Txipirones (Calamari, Caramelized Onions, Parsley, Chorizo Sausage and White Wine Sauce), followed by Salmis de Pollo (Stewed Chicken Breast, Bayonne Ham, Tomatoes, and Boulangère Potatoes), and ending with Gâteau Basque (Almond Flour Cake, Pastry Cream, and Cherry Ice Cream) for dessert.

Friday, November 19, 2010, Pre-Opera Dinner for Giacomo Puccini’s “Madame Butterfly” – will begin with Tonjiru (Japanese Pork and Miso Soup), followed by Beef Teriyaki (Udon Noodles, Tomatoes and Spinach), and ending with Green Tea Pound Cake and Kabocha Ice Cream for dessert.

Sunday Matinee Pre-Opera Brunch – 11:30 to 1 pm, the J. Graham’s Café will be open Sunday, September 26, Sunday, October 24, and Sunday November 21 for the Pre-Opera Brunch. The cost of will be $17 per person plus tax and gratuity. Reservations are required and can be made by calling (502) 583-1234, ext. 7225.

Kentucky Opera Website: http://kyopera.org.

The Brown Hotel
Fourth and Broadway
583-1234
www.brownhotel.com
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: Brown Hotel Kentucky Opera Pre-Opera Dinners and Brunch

by Brad Keeton » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:40 am

Robin Garr wrote: Pre-Opera Dinners will be $34 per person plus tax and 20% gratuity.

Sounds nice, but why the forced gratuity?
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:51 am

Report this postReply with quoteEquus 25th Anniversay Party
by GaryF » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks Robin for letting me post this.

25th Anniversary BBQ Bash
Equus Celebrates 25 Years With Barbecue and Live Music on Aug. 15!

August 15th, 2010

5:00 pm

BBQ & Southern Sides Buffet

Lexington’s Alltech Brewery & Selection of Wines

$50 per person (plus tax & 20% gratuity)

I thought the same thing when I read the Equus thread a few weeks ago. Seems to be a trend with the "special" events.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:50 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:
Robin Garr wrote: Pre-Opera Dinners will be $34 per person plus tax and 20% gratuity.

You askin' ME? ;)

Best guess, they expect it to over-fill, so they might as well grab for all they can get?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:51 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Brad Keeton wrote:

You askin' ME? ;)

Best guess, they expect it to over-fill, so they might as well grab for all they can get?

Or, perhaps, they view the opera-going demographic as puny tippers?
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:05 pm

That was my thought exactly. I thought gratuity were voluntary not mandatory.
Brad Keeton wrote:

Alison Hanover