Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Cumberland Brews marks 10th with special brews tomorrow

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Cumberland Brews celebrates its 10th birthday tomorrow, Aug. 8, from 1 p.m. until midnight, with a roster of special brews on draft named after, and in honor of, the brewpub's servers.

"It's hard to believe it's been 10 years," said Cumberland's Mark Allgeier, and I agree. Cumberland Brew has earned its place on the Louisville area's honorable roster of brewpubs and microbreweries.

Here's the list:

- Leslee -
Belgian IPA
Featuring Belgian Yeast and American Hops
ABV - 7.9%
IBU - 64.5
Brewed: 1/15/10

- Claire -
Single Hop Variety IPA
Featuring Marris Otter Malt, and Simcoe Hops
ABV - 6.8%
IBU - 71
Brewed: 3/3/10

- Mary Stewart -
Malt Variety IPA
Featuring Golden Promise Malt and American Hops
ABV - 6.5%
IBU - 80
Brewed: 3/24/10

- Mandy -
Nitro IPA
Pushed through a Nitro tap to release the hop aroma
ABV - 6.7%
IBU - 75
Brewed: 4/8/10

- Casey -
Rye IPA
Brewed with 34% Rye and Marris Otter Malt
ABV - 5.5%
IBU - 55
Brewed: 5/4/10

- Crystal -
Single Hop Variety
Featuring Amarillo hops and Halcyon Malt
ABV - 7.5
IBU - 54.6
Brewed: 6/22/10

- Naomi -
Single Hop Variety IPA
Featuring Cascade Hops and Optic Malt
ABV - 6.8%
IBU - 50.4
Brewed: 6/24/10

- Megan -
Black IPA
Brewed with additional Caramel Malts to darken the color
ABV - 7.3%
IBU - 68
Brewed: 7/6/10

- Jennifer -
Japanese influenced IPA
Brewed with Japanese Rice and Sorachi Ace hops
ABV - 6.6%
IBU - 58
Brewed: 7/27/10

- Molly -
Imperial IPA
Brewed to Celebrate our Anniversary
Half Pints only
ABV - 10%
IBU - 102
Brewed: 7/20/10
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

Re: Cumberland Brews marks 10th with special brews tomorrow

by Brian Curl » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:28 pm

Very unfortunately, Lucy is not on the list, she was fired a few months back. How could anyone fire Lucy? :evil:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Brian Curl wrote:Very unfortunately, Lucy is not on the list, she was fired a few months back. How could anyone fire Lucy? :evil:

I have no idea, and frankly, I don't know that this is really appropriate here. I expect there are two sides to every story, though ... are you sure Lucy would want this aired in a public forum?
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:37 pm

I am unsure of that. Lucy is been a pretty public fixture at Cumberland, features in newspaper articles, etc. She was there for many of the years that Cumberland was open. I'd guess that just about anyone that knows anything about Cumberland has heard this news. Anyway, I did hear that all of the other servers were very upset and could't believe the reason that she was let go. ( I don't know myself)
no avatar
User

Mark Allgeier

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:04 pm

by Mark Allgeier » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Brian,
Your post is in poor taste. Why would you know anything about anyone being terminated from anywhere. As an employer thats confidential. The outcome is normally unfortunate for all parties involved. Anyway thanks for the hit on the IPA beer list, Ricky Brown ( Lucy's brother ) worked hard on these beers, and after 10 years its obvious my job has gotten any easier.

Cheers Anyway
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Why would you know anything about anyone being terminated from anywhere. As an employer thats confidential

Lots of people love Lucy, so I don't feel bad about stating how I feel. Me stating that Lucy was fired was based on what other servers that are also long time employees directly told me and their feelings about the situation. Stating that many considered quitting and that many patrons have boycotted.

Personally, I do not care except that Lucy seemed like a super nice person. I like Cumberland beer and continue to go there. Possibly, even tomorrow for the bday bash. I do, however, wish there was a Lucy beer....
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:48 pm

I'm terrible with names, but Cumberland has some of the nicest servers/bartenders around. When and why someone was fired is certainly none of my business, but I wish all of the Cumberland bar staff, past and present, nothing but the best.

Now that that's out of the way, I can't wait to go there tomorrow and try some of those beers.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:51 pm

Todd Pharris wrote:Now that that's out of the way, I can't wait to go there tomorrow and try some of those beers.

No joke! Thread hijacks, sheeesh!
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

by Jeremy Markle » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:00 pm

Congratulations to all the lovely folks at Cumberland.
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:47 pm

CONGRATS

Cumberland has been and continues to be a great addition to the Louisville brewing scene :D

We had lunch there a week ago and it was great

Lets all raise a pint tomorrow and toast another 10 years of Cumberland brews

Shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:54 pm

Congratulations and thank you for ten years of service to the Louisville beer community. Ricky has been busy with the IPA list. I like the fact that the strongest by IBU & ABV is the freshest of the bunch.

Keep up the good work. I'll see you on the links in the morning!
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:09 pm

Congratulations, Mark! You're one of my local heroes. I remember when I met you... the place was under construction and you popped into Za's where I was helping out Jim Rigby on Wednesdays. And I found out you were Pat's brother and Matt was your brewer, couldn't have been more excited to meet a person. And there was some sweating going on over there.

I'll speak for Janice and Matt by saying, "hail to the chief". Your place is hands down my sibs favorite local haunt. Hell, pretty much our whole family (of friends)'s favorite.
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:58 pm

What a great event. We arrived early and it's a good thing because the place filled up fast.

Now, I certainly didn't sit there and have ten pints of beer, but between the five of us we managed to try all of them. It was fun to taste the different taste profiles of the same style of beer.

As expected, there wasn't a bad one in the bunch, but I'd have to say my favorites where the Black IPA (nice malty counterpoint to the hops), the Belgian, the Imperial (very Hopslam-esque, which is a compliment), and the one brewed with rice and Sorachi Ace hops.

And I haven't even mentioned the Rye-PA, the dangerously smooth Nitro, or the fabulous single hop varieties. I wish it had been a three day event so I could have had an entire pint of each one.

For lunch, I ordered a flatiron steak sandwich off of the specials board. Very tasty, tender, and cooked medium rare as requested.

Great service from Leslee. They were all kept quite busy!
no avatar
User

Adam Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:42 pm

by Adam Smith » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:50 am

Any of these beers left? I'm off tomorrow and was gonna stop in.