This service is free for legitimate posts from employees and workers about food-and-industry jobs.
no avatar
User

Aaron W

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:21 pm

Louisville

Bartending Experience wanted!!!

by Aaron W » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:37 pm

I am interested in learning the trade of bartending. I am currently a full-time student at Sullivan University studying culinary arts. I have been a serious beer enthusiast since coming of age and I am currently taking a class on wine and spirits. I would like to get hands on experience at an establishment. WILL WORK/STUDY FOR FREE.

I have character references and a resume.

Thanks!
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

Re: Bartending Experience wanted!!!

by Stephen D » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:44 am

Big ups, Aaron. If someone doesn't pick you up, based solely on moxie, they have missed out!

:D
no avatar
User

Aaron W

{ RANK }

Just got here

Louisville

by Aaron W » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:46 pm

Thank you Stephen. No luck yet but gotta keep truckin.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:39 am

A couple good ideas for you brother:

a) Derby is coming up. Bars will be hiring temporary help to cope with the coming smash. Get as many as you can in now- even as a barback. When you get into one, bust your tail and show them you are sincere. I'd bet you'll be the first they call back when a longer-term position comes available.

b) Try Phoenix Hill Group. I forget offhand where thier offices are located (I think downtown.) If you page down far enough on Craig's list, you should find them. Not the best place for technical superiority, but the other third of the discipline is speed- you'll definately learn that there (the last third is showmanship!)

c) Maybe someone will stand beside you and endeavor to make a call or two...
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:30 pm

Wheps... evidently someone at Phoenix Hill read my post. They posted a new ad on craig's list stating they are hiring temp help for everything but tenders, lmao!

:lol: :oops: :cry:
no avatar
User

Aaron W

{ RANK }

Just got here

Louisville

by Aaron W » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:43 pm

Things are in the works now. Thanks for your kind words and advice!

I'm way too psyched for this... busting ass won't be a problem. Sometime between conception and 16 years old, I got stuck in high gear. I've been burning through at least 3 pairs of shoes a year since then.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:00 pm

Aaron's one of my students at Sullivan (well, technically "former", since I don't have him for a lab this quarter). Two thumbs up, I highly recommend. If anyone wants to give him a try on bartending, give me a call or send me a message.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:50 am

The truth is this:

There's a point in the culinary journey when you are no longer the quaterback, you evolve into the coach. The elbows get tired, the knees ache. As much as you want it to be, you can no longer be that person. Then it's time to become the teacher, the harbinger of the next generation. You look for the great one's- I think you have it in you!

Your post made my week. Marsha's post sealed the deal, for me (as I hold her opinion in the highest esteem- rightfully so) I am glad you landed/ing the gig cause we need more, not less, of you.

Please, come and post about your experiences here. Consider your tragedies, our tragedies. Your triumphs, ours. We will walk together, brother.

None of us would have ever been able to grow and develop into who we are today without someone believing in us. I tell you now, there's a whole community that is gonna back your blood, sweat and tears. Don't be scared to be wrong here, my friend. These people will pick you up when you grow tired.

This is the journey, friend, who knows where it will lead you? You could wind up a teacher (like Marsha,) a critic (like Robin,) or a writer (like me.) This is the brilliant dance that only has a true finish the day you die.

(ending it here, cause you know I could go on and on)