This service is free for legitimate posts from employees and workers about food-and-industry jobs.
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:45 am

Iroquois Park

cheerful, honest, reliable server

by Jessie H » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:12 pm

this is going to sound very strange so please don't pass judgement.

i was fired today. recently, the owner of the small bar where i was employed distributed a printout of some new procedures and rules he wanted everyone to follow. i read the paper at the beginning of my shift and folded it up and placed it in my pocket. this was over a week ago.

today i went in to pick up an item i had left at work by accident friday night and saw that i had not been scheduled to work the coming week. i called the bar owner and he told me i was fired. when i asked why, he explained that my coworkers had told him that i had read the rule sheet and then torn it up and thrown it in the trash. of course this is a total lie.

i considered driving home, grabbing the piece of paper, and bringing it back to show him that i did no such thing. then, i figured that if my fellow employees had really told that untrue story about me in order to get me fired, i really didn't want to work alongside them anymore, anyway.

so, now i am in search of work waiting tables or bartending. i know the above story almost sounds too ridiculous to be true. i am however, a cheerful person. i'm honest and reliable and i'm available to work any shift on any day of the week. i will work doubles and be a team player. i always do my best to help my employer to succeed in their business. if you have a postion i can fill in your restaurant please email me at jessipoo84@yahoo.com. thanks for reading.
chi mangia bene, viva bene.

amen.
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Iroquois Park

Re: cheerful, honest, reliable server

by Jessie H » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:48 pm

thank you anne. i'll be out hunting tomorrow and will stop by these places. olivia's would be perfect, it's close to where i live.

amen.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:55 am

Just a little advice. If you apply at a new place I wouldn't advise that you tell them your story above about your previous employer. You are not obligated to tell anyone that you were fired. And if you tell someone in an interview what happened it is not going to be a positive. The potential employer most likely will not call your previous employer and if they do previous employers will usually just give your dates of employment, they most likely will not say anything derogatory about you. Just tell potential employers that your last job wasn't a good fit, your looking for more opportunity, etc and don't make a big deal out of what happend before.
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:38 am

I concur. As an employer, I know as well as anyone that most food service employees bounce from one job to the next. What i look for is long term employment. I don't want to be the next bounce. If you're blaming your previous boss/owner/manager then guess what, in a few months you'll be saying how bad i was too....so i look for people with a solid employment history, and people who aren't complaining about their last boss.

That isn't to say your last boss wasn't at fault. But if they fired you for one thing, they probably wanted to fire you for something, whether or not it was the thing they told you....

Words of wisdom.....

Cheers and best of luck (yeah, just say it didn't work out at the last place - definitely don't tell the story)

Nimbus
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:10 am

I agree with both Brian and Nimbus. I have hired quite a few people and fired a few.

Never, ever complain about a previous boss or place. It is the kiss of death as far as the employer is concerned. Unless the last employer is stupid, he won't discuss it with a prospective employer, only dates of employment.

Don't forget, you may be eligible for unemployment insurance.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:43 pm

thanks to everyone for the tips! i will keep all of it in mind in the future. i think when i came home and wrote that post, i was more venting than anything else. i had just gotten off the phone with my former boss. it was a crappy situation, as i always considered myself to be not just a pretty good server but a dedicated employee. we had many regulars and a small number of staff members. it almost felt like a second family. i liked all of these people very much and looked forward to going to work. the place was a relatively new business, open for less than a year. the owners were always asking for my input and suggestions about how things could be done more efficiently or in a way that would better satisfy the customer. they would even call me on my cell on off days just to run an idea by me and see what i thought. i felt like i was a part of helping the business grow and that i was respected and liked by my coworkers and superiors. being fired like that really surpised me and frankly, turned my world upside down for a few days. i felt like a complete failure. anyone who has ever been fired (whether it was their fault or not) knows this feeling.

luckily, i had left another restaurant on good terms by giving notice and finishing out my last two weeks. i went to see the manager there today and she was glad to have me back. thank goodness i can sleep tonight without worrying that my rent won't get paid, and my phone will be cut off, and that my world as a whole is coming to an end. they can't get me on the schedule til next week. in the meantime, i have a friend opening up a grocery store this friday near doe valley. the store needs finishing touches and she said she'd pay me to come help her for the next few days to tie up some loose ends. so i'll have some money coming in this week and i'll get to relax on a pontoon boat on doe valley lake in the evening. not a bad way to spend time between jobs. thanks everyone who had their fingers crossed for me!

amen.
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:33 pm

Jessie,

Congrats on getting your old job back!

Which also goes to show sort of the old saying that it is good not to burn bridges. Sometimes you just feel you have to, but it can come back to haunt you...plus, in the F&B biz, it is a pretty small community, so word does get around about people.

If somebody is a good worker, and a good person, there will ALWAYS be a job waiting for them. Maybe not on day one, but it is there, you've just got to find it....

Cheers!

-Nimbus
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:09 pm

Nimbus Couzin wrote:
If somebody is a good worker, and a good person, there will ALWAYS be a job waiting for them. Maybe not on day one, but it is there, you've just got to find it....

Testify. I've got so much work now I can barely fit it all in. Being a good worker and having a good reputation is like gold. Which can be turned into cash ;)
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:46 pm

Jessie H wrote:thanks to everyone for the tips! i will keep all of it in mind in the future. i think when i came home and wrote that post, i was more venting than anything else. i had just gotten off the phone with my former boss. it was a crappy situation, as i always considered myself to be not just a pretty good server but a dedicated employee. we had many regulars and a small number of staff members. it almost felt like a second family. i liked all of these people very much and looked forward to going to work. the place was a relatively new business, open for less than a year. the owners were always asking for my input and suggestions about how things could be done more efficiently or in a way that would better satisfy the customer. they would even call me on my cell on off days just to run an idea by me and see what i thought. i felt like i was a part of helping the business grow and that i was respected and liked by my coworkers and superiors. being fired like that really surpised me and frankly, turned my world upside down for a few days. i felt like a complete failure. anyone who has ever been fired (whether it was their fault or not) knows this feeling.

luckily, i had left another restaurant on good terms by giving notice and finishing out my last two weeks. i went to see the manager there today and she was glad to have me back. thank goodness i can sleep tonight without worrying that my rent won't get paid, and my phone will be cut off, and that my world as a whole is coming to an end. they can't get me on the schedule til next week. in the meantime, i have a friend opening up a grocery store this friday near doe valley. the store needs finishing touches and she said she'd pay me to come help her for the next few days to tie up some loose ends. so i'll have some money coming in this week and i'll get to relax on a pontoon boat on doe valley lake in the evening. not a bad way to spend time between jobs. thanks everyone who had their fingers crossed for me!

Jessie,
Here is a thought for you now that you have secured a new position. You might indeed show your old boss the paper and let him know that he was mis-informed. Tell him that you understand his position (although it is wrong) and that you wanted to let him know because you don't want to burn a bridge. You don't owe it to him, but the restaurnat business is a small world and you wouldn't want people to talk. I'm just sayin'
Congratulations on getting your old job back.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:30 pm

Kurt R. wrote:
Jessie H wrote:thanks to everyone for the tips! i will keep all of it in mind in the future. i think when i came home and wrote that post, i was more venting than anything else. i had just gotten off the phone with my former boss. it was a crappy situation, as i always considered myself to be not just a pretty good server but a dedicated employee. we had many regulars and a small number of staff members. it almost felt like a second family. i liked all of these people very much and looked forward to going to work. the place was a relatively new business, open for less than a year. the owners were always asking for my input and suggestions about how things could be done more efficiently or in a way that would better satisfy the customer. they would even call me on my cell on off days just to run an idea by me and see what i thought. i felt like i was a part of helping the business grow and that i was respected and liked by my coworkers and superiors. being fired like that really surpised me and frankly, turned my world upside down for a few days. i felt like a complete failure. anyone who has ever been fired (whether it was their fault or not) knows this feeling.

Jessie,
Here is a thought for you now that you have secured a new position. You might indeed show your old boss the paper and let him know that he was mis-informed. Tell him that you understand his position (although it is wrong) and that you wanted to let him know because you don't want to burn a bridge. You don't owe it to him, but the restaurnat business is a small world and you wouldn't want people to talk. I'm just sayin'
Congratulations on getting your old job back.

I think that's great advice! ( assuming you can do it calmly- if not, wait a few weeks- then do it)

Congrats on the job!
Deb