This service is free for legitimate posts from employees and workers about food-and-industry jobs.
no avatar
User

K H Kramer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:27 pm

New & Used Restaurant Equipment

by K H Kramer » Fri May 29, 2009 8:28 am

I would like to know where are the best places to find new and/or used restaurant equipment.

Any suggestions or resources you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

Re: New & Used Restaurant Equipment

by John Hagan » Fri May 29, 2009 9:29 am

Dine company of Louisville has new/used equipment. I think its dinecompany.com but you can goggle it.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Scott Rudd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:59 am

St. Matthews

by Scott Rudd » Fri May 29, 2009 9:39 am

Chef Supply
1512 W. Main Street
Scott W. Rudd-Restaurant Design
Chef Supply
"We Supply the Pros"
502-693-0636
User

Reagan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:52 am

Keepin on the Sunny Side, Always on the Sunny Side

by Reagan H » Fri May 29, 2009 11:13 am

I am not even going to announce this as a "disclaimer", but I work at Chef Supply, and there are many options in town for restaurant supply and new/used equipment sales. From my times at the Bakery and at other restaurants, I thought Dine was the only location out there; I had no idea this place was here, but Chef Supply has been around for 25 years and caters to all types of restaurant needs. We even have our own fabrication shop, allowing for stainless fixtures to be customized, done locally, saving freight, etc.

One thing to consider, everyone is walking in saying: "all these places closing down, so you should have a ton of used equipment." That is not true in reality, as our customers these days are using what they have until it falls apart (at least 2 times) and often passing them to their neighbors who are still open. That said, jails, schools, and institutions are still spending money on full-kitchen upgrades, and we are able to keep tabs on that equipment to help match it up with a new home. And view any used refrigeration (some prep and pizza tables excluded) with a very careful eye.

Just tootin' our horn here, but please folks, remember there are other options! I am in charge of smallwares and purchasing, but will be more than happy to match up any queries with our salesmen who specialize in equipment, new and used. You can shop around, and with that educated opinion, be able to avoid overcharging that has occured to me in the past.

As you have seen on previous posts, if you know specifically what item(s) you are looking for, post, and I betcha the mountains will come to Mohammad.
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Sat May 30, 2009 2:04 am

I've gotten some great used stuff at Dine (on Preston). Including some refrigeration that was sold as used but was essentially new, thus saving me a bundle. They also have tables, chairs, etc, used at good prices. They are my day to day restaurant supply also. They're kinda like a supermarket size-wise. Prices on new stuff are ok, not great, but you always pay a lot for new restaurant supply. (I'm talking like thermometers, glassware, sanitizer, etc).

For refrigeration or other large equipment, check out Vittitow, just south of 264, can't remember the street name. They are reputable and won't rip you off on used stuff. They pretty much just take new price and knock it in half for most of their used equipment. They specialize in refrigeration, but also have display cases, triple sinks, you name it...full line of new equipment also. They are big.

Well, that's my experience. I bought my beer dispenser off of Craigslist for $700 or so and it is still going strong a year later. Stuff like ice machines and dishwashers I'd probably recommend buying new.

P.s. bought my espresso machine from a coffee roaster in Phoenix, who had it completely rebuilt in Tucson. I got it for a great price. Yeah, it definitely pays to shop around.

Happy shopping....

-Nimbus

p.p.s. Don't forget to do regular maintenance on all your equipment. It will save you lots of money and grief.
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Sat May 30, 2009 8:00 am

One other reason to shop at Dine would be that they are a HotBytes sponsor, as they advertise here.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:36 am

there are a lot of great auction sites,
http://bidfta.com/
is one of my favs

we got most of our furniture from ebay, our mixer, and a few other items

browse the web and ask your neighbors, our pizza oven was in someone's garage as it wouldn't fit into their commercial kitchen

grocery stores that have gone out of business also tend to have a large amount of commercial kitchen equipment that goes up on auction as well
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:23 am

I bought most of my stuff from a rather colorful guy named Randy Schaeffer (he has about 5 acres of used equipment on his farm up in Henry County Indiana). I'll dig up his number and shoot it to ya. I have to say that going there is akin to going to Jungle Jims for food.......like a kid in a candy store!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

K H Kramer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:27 pm

by K H Kramer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:38 am

Thanks to everyone for the recommedations. It's a big help...
User

Scott Rudd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:59 am

St. Matthews

by Scott Rudd » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:44 pm

These are all good suggestions...but I have one more that I know this board should support. And that is buy local. As a Restaurant Designer I support all my local restaurants and farmers markets. I have dealt with many Restaurant owners who shop the internet or dealers in Ohio. I will be the first to tell you they don't support you like the folks mentioned on this board...now getting off my soap box.
Scott W. Rudd-Restaurant Design
Chef Supply
"We Supply the Pros"
502-693-0636
User

Scott Schamel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

Louisville, KY

by Scott Schamel » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:35 pm

Is there anything specific you are looking for?????
If you keep looking back, you will miss what's ahead....
no avatar
User

Peter Lyons

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:02 pm

by Peter Lyons » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:06 pm

You may want to check out
http://www.fasttrackauction.com