This service is free for legitimate posts from employees and workers about food-and-industry jobs.

How bad is it

no avatar
User

JThompson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:28 pm

How bad is it

by JThompson » Thu May 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Looking to come back to Louisville, sometime in the next year. How bad is the job market, will be looking for a sous chef position; probably in a hotel or private club setting although not opposed to independent restaurant.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: How bad is it

by Robin Garr » Sun May 31, 2009 9:36 pm

JThompson wrote:Looking to come back to Louisville, sometime in the next year. How bad is the job market, will be looking for a sous chef position; probably in a hotel or private club setting although not opposed to independent restaurant.

Probably best to ask this in the main forum ... lack of responses in Restaurant Jobs suggests that people aren't really in this section to chat about the economy. Try re-posting and see if you don't get more replies.
User

Scott Schamel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

Louisville, KY

by Scott Schamel » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:36 pm

Well, I closed down my place in April. I thought I had a couple of GOOD leads, but all fell through, and I am still looking.....
If you keep looking back, you will miss what's ahead....
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:24 am

Scott, I can tell you it's not just the restaurant market that's hurting. I've been applying for jobs since about February and have gotten 2-3 interviews.

I'm getting REALLY tired of writing cover letters.
no avatar
User

Tim Y

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm

by Tim Y » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:20 pm

Good experience story here. I was jobless, FORTUNATELY, for just short of a month. But I put my leg work in, and was actually hitting up places I didn't even want to work for anyway!!! I don't know your style, but you do, so focus on places that would fit your style and concentrate on them!! Gee Beavis, UH UH, thats a good idea. Any way that is my advice, and I have been gone for 20 years and I think being back home is all about finding a new home, (because I can't move back in w/ mom & dad) but home is doing what you love!!!! good luck, Tim
no avatar
User

JThompson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:28 pm

by JThompson » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:15 pm

Talked to my mother the other day and apparently my brother lost his job and my other brother's dealership he works out was barely spared by the Chrysler closings. I am dying to get back home; guess I'm gonna have a wait.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:42 pm

My husband is an electrician and just lost his job. His mentor is in Graphic Design/Marketing and work is very slow for him as well. LIke Will Terry said it is not just the restaurant market that is hurting, it is affecting everyone. My take, if you have a job, hang on to it.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:03 pm

The reality is bad.
That's why I didn't take early retirement when my company offered it recently. I gambled that I would have this job after the money ran out. Glad I stayed. I bet I would be volunteering somewhere indefinitely, which isn't a bad thing, but you can't live on volunteering.
One friend, a nurse, lost her job 1 week before Xmas. Still looking. (Alot of places have posted medical jobs, but are still in a hiring freeze.)
One friend, 'laid off' recently, has responded to 25 positions (administrative type). Not one response.
Food server friend, who lost his job a few months ago, can't find the right position.
Lawyer friend, business down. Looking for additional work.
Auto sales friend, lost her dealer car and insurance. Huge pay cut.
Some parts of town, it doesn't seem like the economy has affected the restaurant business. People in Louisville enjoy eating out. But we're eating out less and definitely ordering alot less when we do go out.

I remember in the early 80's. I went to 9 different restaurants looking for a server job, before I took the steam table job at the Tumbleweed on Mellwood. Bad times then and worse now, I think, because people are use to more material things and more complex times. (No, I didn't walk to school barefooted, but for almost half my life, we only one tv:-)
Have I been too negative? I think if you have a job, you have made adjustments and the quality of life is probably going to be better. But if you don't have a job...