Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Brewpubs in the Scottsdale AZ area?

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Brewpubs in the Scottsdale AZ area?

by Ellen P » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Visiting family soon. Any brewpubs or breweries in the area? Other recommendations - whether food or not. I vaguely remember Old Town from a mid 1990's business trip. Had to see Taliesin West when out there in 2001. Too far for one day trip to South Rim? Took a one day trip from Las Vegas to there in 98. Loved that lodge. Would drive up there for just a day for a peak at the canyon and a meal. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Re: Brewpubs in the Scottsdale AZ area?

by Ellen P » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:32 pm

We found 4 Peaks Brewery near AZU. Amazing. Maybe 24 or more tanks. 8 home brewed beers sampled on a wonderfully done wooden tasting tray. Huge place. the bar could have been 3 times the size of BBC easily. 3 rows of tables around the bar. Tables in a side room several rows deep. More seating out front. 2:00 on a Sat. afternoon - on a wait. Great food and service.
Also recommend a side trip to Jerome AZ. Wow. Take the scenic route up the first time. Kinda like Frankfort Ave, Nashville IN, Bardstown Rd 4000 feet up.
Splurged for what could be our last trip out there. Stayed at the AZ Biltmore. Another WOW. Free upgrade when we checked in. Busy with meetings, not so much guests. Had high tea in the lobby with my 81 year old uncle. He loved it. It was wonderful. Took 1 1/2 hours and Lorraine allowed us to enjoy it thoroughly. One other table. The 3rd table didn't show up. She gave us extras and doggey bags. It is a magicaly place. Marilyn Monroe liked the Catalina pool. Irving Berlin wrote White Xmas there. All sitting presidents have stayed there - Obama hasn't yet. Nicest guests. Even the Houston Rockets were there one night. Sitting outside by the fire with strangers. Enjoying cocktails (Kinda pricey. $16 Woodford Reserves but huge pours.)
The AZ Biltmore was magicial and I will stay there again. Might try the warmer weather for an even better deal.
Phoenix was so well run. Clean. Wed. night we went to a Sun's game. Baseball game going on as well as hockey. Huge crowd, 10:00 weeknight.
Sedona and Red Rock was beautiful. Every vista. Again, take the local route up there to watch the chaning terrain. Tke the interstate back at night - too dangerous.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sat May 01, 2010 9:08 pm

Oh, I love the Arizona Biltmore, too. I go to Phoenix just to stay at the AB. The spa is fabulous. I totally fell in love with all the "Sprite" statues. I now have one in my backyard. The AB is at the top of my list.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

CharlesBruck

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:14 am

by CharlesBruck » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:55 am

Gayle DeM wrote:Oh, I love the Arizona Biltmore, too. I go to Phoenix just to stay at the AB. The spa is fabulous. I totally fell in love with all the "Sprite" statues. I now have one in my backyard. The AB is at the top of my list.

_________
Hotels Scottsdale
_________
Carlsbad Tavern ROCKS!!!!!
I'd have to say that this is my favorite place in Scottsdale. Love the look and feel; they shake up a mean martini.
The hotter the better!
Charles B.
Scottsdale Hotel
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:10 pm

It's probably about a 4 hr (or more) trip up to the south rim. It can be done, but would make for one long day of driving, and not much time up there.
I also recommend Jerome. There's actually a really cute winery up there now that a friend of mine has fell in love with.