Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Amsterdam dining?

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Adam Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:42 pm

Amsterdam dining?

by Adam Smith » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:39 pm

I haven't taken a vacation in 6 years so this is huge for me. Looking into going to Amsterdam next June with a friend and I was wondering if anyone's ever been. What must I eat and see while I'm there? And, does anyone have a preferred hotel or airline?

This travel stuff is new to me and I've never been out of the country so I'm excited but kinda nervous too. Any and all advice or travel tips would be appreciated!
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

Re: Amsterdam dining?

by John Greenup » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:49 pm

The only Amsterdam I've visited is the one in NY state, but I'm sure lots of posters who have been to that other Amsterdam can offer suggestions...

...as far as traveling out of the country, one suggestion is look into getting travel insurance...so many unexpected things can happen--especially when going out of the country...I had it several years ago for a cruise...missed the boat (literally) due to poor flight connections, but had the ENTIRE cost of the trip (air and sea) refunded thanks to the insurance...start your research with reputable companies like AAA and go from there...

...as far as airlines, I've always had good experiences flying Delta overseas, but since KLM is the national Dutch carrier (as well as the world's oldest continually operating airline), check them out for any special deals...
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Adam Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Adam Smith » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:23 pm

Thanks John. I was definitely going to check out the insurance from AAA. I'll look into that airline as well.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:22 pm

You must visit an Indonesian place for the "rice table" (rijstafel?). It's an evening of small dishes coming out one after the other, sometimes progressively hotter, with a big mound of rice in the middle. It's perfectly acceptable to throw back more than one ordinary golden lager beer in the process.

Also, consider taking the 20-minute train ride to Haarlem and experience a much mellower vibe. For a taste of old-school Dutch dining in Haarlem, go to the Ark: http://www.restaurantdeark.nl/

Lately I fly into Amsterdam, and head to Haarlem. Just a great smaller city, and still minutes away from A-Dam.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:37 pm

I know a place to get brownies, but that's about it. LOL
no avatar
User

Adam Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Adam Smith » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:52 am

Heather Y wrote:I know a place to get brownies, but that's about it. LOL

I'm going with a friend I've know for years, including my "party" days. Believe me we'll hit our share of coffeehouses.
:twisted:
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:57 am

Nouveau Dutch (bit pricey but good)

The Five Flies

http://www.thefiveflies.com/nl/index.asp?

Very Reasonable Indonesian place

Kntjil & the Tiger

http://www.kantjil.nl/restaurant.htm

In red light district Argentinian steak place

Tango
Warmoesstraat 49 1012 HW
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:08 am

Dutch colleague suggested going to the melkmeisje or "milk maid". I don't want to tell you what I got when I googled that in Dutch Google. Maybe just take note of the name. Knowing him, it's probably expensive.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Adam Smith wrote:This travel stuff is new to me and I've never been out of the country so I'm excited but kinda nervous too. Any and all advice or travel tips would be appreciated!

I like to check out www.tripadvisor.com before I go anywhere. I usually has some really useful (locals)info.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/