Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Recommendations for Canton, OH?

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Angel W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:45 am

Recommendations for Canton, OH?

by Angel W » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:23 pm

My husband and I are heading to Canton this weekend to visit the Football Hall of Fame. Is anyone familiar with the area and have any good restaurant recommendations?
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Recommendations for Canton, OH?

by Steve P » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:07 pm

Angel W wrote:My husband and I are heading to Canton this weekend to visit the Football Hall of Fame. Is anyone familiar with the area and have any good restaurant recommendations?

Grew up there. Sadly as a result of the local economy many of the old favorites have disappeared. Here are a couple of our favorites that are still thriving. All of them are within 20 mins of the HOF:

Sylvesters Italian Grill - Easy to find. 5 or 6 miles north of the HOF, exit off I-77 at Portage Rd. Then approx 1/2 miles east. Sylvesters in on your left. Pretty good Italian favorites. $$

Polumbos - Easy to find. Same exit as Sylvesters, same direction off the interstate. on the right 1/4 mile past Sylvesters. Pretty darn good food. Usually have a couple of good specials. The baked Scrod, Stuffed Banana Peppers and Lasagna all rock. Casual "Old School" bar/restaurant. A local favorite. $$

Mulligans - http://www.mulliganscanton.com/ In a small strip mall behind Westport Center Mall. About 4 or 5 miles north of the HOF just off I-77. English style pub. Lots of good entrees. One of our favorite places to eat when we're "home". Casual Pub Restaurant $$

Benders - Downtown Canton. Becky thinks it is on 2nd and Cleveland Ave. "Canton's Oldest and Finest". Good food and good service. Upscale Casual http://www.bendersrestaurant.com/ $$$

The Winking Lizard - GREAT wings and a rockin' beer selection. Show up during the Buckeyes or the Browns games and you'll see some real football fans...something we're known for in that part of the country. Casual Sports Bar/Restaurant http://www.winkinglizard.com/data/content/canton.asp

91 Wood Fired Oven Restaurant - 5570 Fulton Dr. We haven't been here but have a good friend who works the front of the house. She says it's excellent...and having been in the business for a long time I trust her judgement. Upscale casual. $$-$$$
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Alan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Highlands

by Alan H » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:14 pm

Steve P wrote:
Angel W wrote:My husband and I are heading to Canton this weekend to visit the Football Hall of Fame. Is anyone familiar with the area and have any good restaurant recommendations?

The Winking Lizard - GREAT wings and a rockin' beer selection. Show up during the Buckeyes or the Browns games and you'll see some real football fans...something we're known for in that part of the country. Casual Sports Bar/Restaurant http://www.winkinglizard.com/data/content/canton.asp

Went to one of the The Winking Lizards in Cleveland last year the day before MNF against the Giants, real neat sports bar atmosphere !!

Hi Angel, if you are in the Hall of Fame road trip mood, after Canton shoot up North for about an hours drive and hit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland since you are going to be in the area... :D

Mind you either one is easily an all day tour
Alan Hincks
Overtime Sports Bar and Grille

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:08 pm

Alan H wrote:
Steve P wrote:

Went to one of the The Winking Lizards in Cleveland last year the day before MNF against the Giants, real neat sports bar atmosphere !!

Hi Angel, if you are in the Hall of Fame road trip mood, after Canton shoot up North for about an hours drive and hit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland since you are going to be in the area... :D

Mind you either one is easily an all day tour

Alan,

I'm prejudiced, since I'm from that area, but "The Winking" is undoubtably the best "Sports Bar" I've been in. The food is pretty darn good, at least 2 full notches above most bar fare and I love the beer selection...Something they were known for long before "craft beer" became the trendy thing to drink.

I concur wit the suggestion for the Rock HOF...The actual HOF part of the venue is a bit weak (which is but a small part of the experience) but the museum part is really-really well done.
no avatar
User

Angel W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:45 am

by Angel W » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:32 am

Thanks everyone! We left town before I was able to read your recommendations, but just so happened to eat at Mulligan's on Friday night. It was terrific! I was surprised at how beautiful it was. My husband had filet mignon and I had a reuben with some HUGE onion rings. We were both pleased with our choices. Sorry to hear I missed out on the sports bar though. I know we both would have loved it! Thanks for your help.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:16 am

Wondering how you enjoyed the HOF, etc.