Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Murray, KY Dining?

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Highlands

Murray, KY Dining?

by Doug A » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Doing the college tours with my 17 year old daughter and wife and we will be in Murray next week. What little I've been able to find is The Big Apple Cafe, Patti's, and lots o' chains.

Patti's looks to be interesting, but also appears to be a haul from Murray if Google Maps is to be believed. Saw a thread in LHB about the pork chop being good, but over rated. We'll have already been on the road for 4-5 hours that day and facing 3.5 hours back home the following day so I don't know that we're up for much of a road trip for food.

The Big Apple Cafe was recommended by the hotel when I called for reservations. First suggestion was Tumbleweed as it is right next door and was rated highly by the reservationist. Big Apple was only recommended after I asked for a local place and she said it was good, but could get rowdy on the bar side when school is in session. Seems we're safe on that count and it may be worth a try.

Anybody have anything better or any experience with the above? We might drive the 45 minutes to Patti's if it's the best of what's available, but it would have to be pretty special to convince my fellow travelers to make the effort I suspect.

Thanks-Doug
no avatar
User

Karen H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Murray, KY Dining?

by Karen H » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:40 am

Doug I have never been to Murray but I searched just like I would if I were going myself and I found this site... scroll down to KYDad95 http://www.city-data.com/forum/kentucky ... urray.html ....looks like a good list and at the bottom has a link for menus and the Big Apple Cafe is listed there. Also I have Gary West's Eating Your Way Across Kentucky book and he lists a place called Roberson's Hih Burger Inn, which is in Murray. Apparently you do not go there for the decor but the food is all made from scratch..they are only open from 5am to 2pm but you might want to try it I couldn't find a website but at least here is the address and phone # ( I always call just to make sure they are still open since they were not on the list at the other website) Happy eating and good luck with the college search...kids they grow up so fast don't they? :o

Don't forget to let us know where you went and how it was.....good information for future reference. Thanks!!!
Last edited by Karen H on Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Karen H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Karen H » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:41 am

Sorry I forgot the link for Hih Burger http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... +murray+ky. :oops:
no avatar
User

Karen H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Karen H » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:44 am

I just keep thinking of things ...I have heard great things about Patti's (also heard sometimes there are great waits too) and my nephew and brother in law ate there this spring and they both love the steaks. They would say worth the trip but get there early.
no avatar
User

Karen H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Karen H » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:49 am

Doug I corrected the website in the first post ...try it again...sorry :oops: I guess I am still asleep this am. Karen
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Rudy's is on the square and has catfish and great burgers.. most of the courthouse crowd eats there as well as construction guys and the mayor. If you want a local place for lunch thats the place.
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Doug A » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:35 pm

Thanks Guys!

It is hard to believe sometimes that we're already doing the college research, but they do grow up quickly.

Accommodations have changed and we're now staying at a cottage at Kenlake State Park which is about half way from Murray to Patti's. That is an easier sale to my travel mates than 45 minutes from Murray so looks like Patti's for dinner.

Rudy's sounds ideal for lunch after the tour at MSU. Grab a quick bite and get back on the road for Louisville.

Appreciate the feedbacl-Doug
no avatar
User

Joseph M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:27 pm

by Joseph M » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:44 am

Doug, as a Western Kentuckian, I've been to Murray more times than I can count, so maybe I can help out.

I would say that, hands down, my favorite restaurant in Murray is Jasmine. It's a local Asian restaurant with a focus on Thai food, and honestly, it's some of the best Thai I've ever had. All of the dishes are pretty solid and the atmosphere is a step above any other restaurant in Murray.

I'd have to recommend against The Big Apple Cafe. At least, don't plan to go there to really enjoy your food. I would imagine that it gets recommended because it's one of the very few establishments that serves a decent range of alcoholic beverages.

And then there's Patti's. I'd agree that the pork chop is overrated and the food is maybe just a bit overpriced, but you're definitely paying for the ambiance, and if you've never been before, the "village" around which it is built is certainly fun. Be sure to play the mini golf course, if you're into that sort of thing. It's a really good one.

Also, the bread they serve is to die for. I tend to eat my weight in the strawberry butter that they serve with it.
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Doug A » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies. We're headed to WKU tomorrow morning and MSU for Thursday.

Think I have a sufficient number of attractive choices to offer the traveling crew.

Thanks again-Doug
no avatar
User

JustineFeldt

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:28 pm

Louisville and Nashville

by JustineFeldt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:55 pm

I have to say when my boyfriend went to Murray, I would visit him and eat at Jasmines. So, I , too reccomend Jasmines, it's a step above anything there as far as dining experiences are concerned!
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Doug A » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:06 pm

Have to say that Jasmine was a good call. We're not Thai experts, but the food was well prepared and welcome after a long day of traveling.

Had a seared Tuna, Wasabi, and Cucumber slice appetizer that was very fresh although the wasabi appeared to have been created with a cream and maybe a touch of mayo base so it was not overwhelmingly hot. Spring Rolls were grease free and served with a nice sweet and sour sauce.

Wife had a crab rangoon appetizer for her dinner that was the best she's had and daughter agreed. I had their Chile Fish dish with Salmon and it was delicious. Ordered it extra hot and it came out very spicy on top of a bed of primarily sauteed cabbage served with white rice but I opted for fried rice. Daughter had a spicy crab roll from their sushi menu that she said was good, but was about average compared to her regular stops in Louisville.

About a 15-20 minute ride into Jasmine from the Kenlake cottage we stayed at and it was a nice break from traveling for the day.

We didn't get lunch in Murray, electing to hit the road after the MSU tour and getting home.

Thanks for the recommendations-Doug
no avatar
User

Joseph M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:27 pm

by Joseph M » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:11 pm

Glad you tried it out. They seem to be doing very well for themselves, as they've already opened a new location in Paducah. My favorite dish there is the basil duck stir fry (or something along that line). Hope you enjoyed the MSU tour. The town as a whole doesn't have much to offer, in my opinion, but it's a really nice campus, and some of their undergraduate programs are pretty well-known. Good luck to your daughter in her college search.
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Doug A » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:55 pm

I can see where Jasmine would do very well for themselves. It was well prepared food, wine with dinner was a plus, and they were pretty reasonably priced.

We enjoyed the MSU tour, but I have to say I was absolutely blown away by WKU. Massive amounts of infrastructure improvement, new building construction, and a bunch of very impressive buildings that are just a few years old. I really did not expect much from WKU based on impressions from a few years ago and was very pleasantly surprised.

We're doing the UofL tour in mid September, but so far WKU and it pains me to say this as my wife and I are UofL Business School Alums the UK tour on Friday was also very impressive.

Guess we're learning along with our daughter on these tours too!

Thanks again for all the recommendations. It's why we love this forum.

Doug