Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Lake Erie Eating?

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Lake Erie Eating?

by Deb Hall » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:29 pm

We are heading to Port Clinton/ Put-in-Bay/Cedar Point area for vacation with the kids. Any dining recommendations? Also interested in unique/local foods we should buy/try - we are renting a condo and will be cooking most of our meals- plus we always love bringing home local specialities.

Thanks!
Deb
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Lake Erie Eating?

by Gayle DeM » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:04 pm

Fish! Most notably walleye and yellow perch. Although walleye is sometime called walleyed pike, it is actually a member of the perch family and IMO the best eating inland fish. Period! (I have recently returned from North Dakota and had a version of walleye each of three evening. Personally, I think broiled is best, followed by sauted with almonds.) Its been a few years since I've been to Cedar Point, but I seem to recollect that there is a tasty native mussel as well.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:43 pm

Deb Hall wrote:We are heading to Port Clinton/ Put-in-Bay/Cedar Point area for vacation with the kids. Any dining recommendations? Also interested in unique/local foods we should buy/try - we are renting a condo and will be cooking most of our meals- plus we always love bringing home local specialities.

Thanks!
Deb

Deb,

I grew up in Ohio and worked in Oberlin (20 mi south of Port Clinton) for 10 years..and to echo what Gayle said you have GOT to try a dinner of Walleye or "Lake Erie Perch" (Yellow Perch). Personally I like the perch, if for no other reason than I can get Walleye anywhere but the perch are kind of a regional thing. The fillets will be small, breaded and fried and have a firm texture with a sweet and slightly "fishy" flavor (if that makes sense)...for some reason kids seem to REALLY take to this fish, not sure why maybe because the fillets are small and look a little like fish sticks (which they are certainly not). I have not lived up there in years so I'm not up to speed on what is still there and what may have opened...BUT...I just happen to be out of town on bidness and I'm working with an old colleague who lives about 5 miles from Port Clinton. I will ask him tomorrow afternoon for some recommendations. Walleye are also on most menus and there is no shortage of restaurants which serve them any number of styles. If you have never had -fresh- Walleye this is another "must". Most restaurants serve fresh and not "previously frozen" fish and there is a BIG difference.

BTW, we had a little thrown down on MemDay weekend and I fried up 20 pounds of Perch fillets that I had brought back from Ohio the previous weekend. We had -one- fillet left over.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:45 am

Steve,
That would be fantastic! If you could also ask him for an eating rec on Put-in- Bay , that would be great!
We are currently enroute; how cool is it that I'm getting recs from my moving car? :D
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:49 am

Deb Hall wrote:Steve,
That would be fantastic! If you could also ask him for an eating rec on Put-in- Bay , that would be great!
We are currently enroute; how cool is it that I'm getting recs from my moving car? :D

Deb

<sigh>...It figures he'd call in sick today. I'll try and hit him tomorrow. In the meantime hope you are having a great time.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:57 am

Steve P wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:Steve,

Deb

<sigh>...It figures he'd call in sick today. I'll try and hit him tomorrow. In the meantime hope you are having a great time.

Just got an email from Jerry (should have checked my email before my previous response)...Jerry says you should check out Mossbacks Island Bar and Grill (upscale/casual) and The Boathouse Bar and Grill. Also said you might enjoy The Fishbowl (next to or across from Mossbacks...he can't recall).
no avatar
User

BrianHall

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:33 pm

by BrianHall » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:19 am

Thanks, Steve! We'll check them out.

Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:43 pm

Went to Mossbacks and had fantastic perch for dinner. Highly recommend! Loved Put-in-Bay.
Also found a local cheese place- Cheesehaven. Sounded very hokey, but they make their own excellent beef sausage, smoked fish and cheeses. Picked up some great 4 Year old cheddar. It's on 163 on the way to Marblehead.
Deb