Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Trip diary of Scenic 30A-lots of restaurants there too

by Ellen P » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:37 pm

This isn't my 2 week trip diary but it gives you a wonder sense of 30A and what people are missing :D
We'll be going soon. I don't think I've had the Red Bar crab cakes yet - Fri. and Sat. only. I'll have to make a point of having them this time. We've avoided dinner time and have started going at breakfast and lunch. Wonderful bloody marys too.

(This lady is from Texas)
Trip report 5/22-6/6; a little long

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hubby and I drove to left Arlington, TX on Friday morning, stopped thru Leatha's Barbeque in Hattisburg, Mississippi for some GREAT Que and then on to Pensacola, Fl for the night. Saturday we made our way on down to SoWal, picked up house keys at Rivard and then on to our beach house. Great house behind Angelina's, little neighborhood, only 2 streets, community pool that we never saw anyone use our week and we had a private pool with great patio as well. My folks and brother arrived about an hour later.

Mom and I hit Goatfeathers II for seasoned steamed shrimp and then the grocery store for more dinner essentials. The guys grilled some sausage and we feasted.

Sunday we woke up to rain so I made us breakfast then took my mom and brother for a mini-tour from Rosemary back down to Grayton and all points in between. Back for some lunch and then down to walk the beach after the rain stopped. Family dinner at Stinky's: crawfish hushpuppies, bean butter and bread and gumbo to start; fried shrimp, crawfish pie, Stinky's stew, swordfish special, and seafood platter with a side of macncheese was a huge meal for the table and all was great.

Monday, woke up to a sunny sky and hit the beach for the day. The water was still a little rough and murky but the sun was great. I took my bro to Red Bar for huge food and Dread Clampitt-he loved both. I had grouper special, bro had shrimp and crawfish pasta and we enjoyed some cocktails and music. Folks went to Ocean Club at Tops'l and didn't like it as much as they did a few years ago. Hubby felt crummy but we got him some Barefoot Barbeque pork sliders and he loved them.

Tues, woke up to sunny skies again. It's my Step-Dad's bday so I fixed him breakfast then we hit the beach for the day. The water is calmer and clearer today. Late lunch at the House of Kraus (burgers and a pastrami-all really good; then tried vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream and peanut butter pie). I liked the ice cream but it wasn't as good as I'd heard (to me) but I have an aunt who makes the creamiest and tastiest so it's hard to compete with her! Back to the house for some pool time then on to Bayou Bill's Crab House for late dinner that night. Started with gumbo and oysters Bienville, had 2 crab cake and shrimp plates, fried shrimp plate, stuffed grouper (or was it flounder?) plate, and seafood platter. All were great! I'm so glad they rebuilt at the old location. We watched the glass guy for a while and visited with him; I didn't realize that this is the same man that's always been there! He has over 20 years making glass at BB's and temporarily moved to the Carillon Beach location after the Hwy 98 location burned.

Wed, woke up to sunny skies again! Hubby, bro and I went to Grayton Beach; this was our first time to hang at the beach and how cool is the dune lake where it reaches the ocean!?! We met lots of friendly folks and kiddos, we helped hunt crabs, build lagoons for them, and had a great time. Now I see why everyone likes Grayton so much; all of 30A is fun and unique but Grayton has a little something extra special (to me). Back to snack, pool, and rest. Kat (from D&K) brought over our key lime pie and we had such a nice visit with her and the pie, OMG!!!!!!!!! Dinner at Shorty's: started with lime soup (we weren't real big fans of this tortilla style soup, it lacked flavor to us) but the shrimp and grits were really good, the stewed okra and tomatoes were a big hit as well as the grilled shrimp and twice baked potatoes. Natalia was our server, she remembered us from last year and we think she's WONDERFUL!

Thurs, more sunny skies! Mom made biscuits and sausage gravy (my favorite) and then to the beach, really nice water today so we all played in the water. The guys went to The Pizza Bar in Seaside then to a tobacco shop for cigars so they hung out at the pool and smoked cigars. Mom and I shopped the cute shops on the north side of 30A in Grayton , the shops at Seaside as well as the shops in Seagrove. Bro rented a scooter and found that Shivers has Amazing Shaved Ice!! Dinner at Enzo's, we didn't realize it was cash only ahead of time but there is an ATM. Started with toasted ravioli, yum. I had pasta with meatballs, bro had pasta sampler, mom had lasagna, step-dad had seafood pasta, hubby had meat lovers pasta. All large portions and all really good, we had enough leftover for my bro to have a huge lunch the next day! Family walked around Seaside and hit the shops-we looove the bookstore!!

Friday, more sunny skies (lucky us), early early bro was off to scooter then to the beach for beautiful water. We all played in the water. Hubby and I headed to Flip Flops for chili cheese dogs-yummo. Folks and bro hung longer at the beach since this is their last day then bro scootered some more. Stopped thru the gardens at Watercolor for lots of family pictures then on to Stinky's for dinner. We had some problems with the wait so we ended up having Barefoot Barbeque which was a huge hit again: Chicken, ribs, and pulled pork with great baked beans!

Sat, woke up after folks and bro were already well on their way back to Texas and to sunny Seagrove skies. It's Hubby's bday so I picked up breakfast at Cocoon's for us. Hubby and I packed up for our move and drove to Panama City to Target during our between time. Stopped at the Bakery beside Pasta Grill-OMG that place is crazy good and really affordable. We got this delicious chocolate mouse in a chocolate cup-I just drooled thinking about- it as well as a hazelnut chocolate chip little cake that was so dense and rich…yum! Picked up keys at Beach Rentals of South Walton for our Cassine Station condo which is really cute too. Lunch at Seagrove Market Café, burger and cheesesteak-both great!! Hit the store to stock a few items for our condo. To the beach to enjoy the perfect water. Dinner at Ciao Bella at the outlet mall; we love their thin crust! Hubby had a great bday at the beach!

Sun, woke up to sunshine and off to the beach. Caught a little pool time in the afternoon and then off to dinner late at Jambones: fried shrimp and bacon cheeseburger and fried pickles-yummy stuff.

Mon, woke up to more sunny skies and off to the beach. Lunch at Shades and then drove to Crooked Island using the Tyndall access. This place is great and there were only a handful of people hanging around. Picked up lots of pretty shells and there were tons of shells along the beach. Drove down to Mexico Beach and on to Beacon Hill then back to Seagrove. Dinner at Red Bar (gumbo, manicotti and shrimp/crawfish pasta) and great tunes from Dread Clampitt. We got to meet a couple of guys in the band and chat about music a while, they were kind enough to play Luckenbach, TX for us and we got a couple of CD's.

Tues, woke up to sunny skies again and off to the beach for more great water (man we're lucky). I've had a lot of sun at this time and had to call the beach a day earlier than usual. Hubby and I drove into Destin and had lunch at Dynasty Chinese (the BEST eggrolls). Decided to check out the monstrosity building at the Harborwalk. There were several stores and restaurants open. I bought a lovely necklace at their Pearls Gone Wild location. On to Trader Vic's for a pina colada (you know, like in Werewolves of London song) and a Mai Tai-took lots of pic's with tiki's. Hit the outlet mall for a while. Stopped thru Seaside to shop a bit as well. Hubby bought me a lovely pearl and shell silver bracelet at a shop in Ruskin Place (early bday for me). On to Stinky's Fish Camp for dinner, we had the best server named Mandi-she was sooo friendly and took such great care of us.

Wed we woke up to clouds-it was bound to happen. We drove down to Grayton to check out the dune lake area again. It was quite windy and the waves were growing. As the rain came in, we headed out of the beach. We ran up to Big Mamma's Hula Art and had the best time with them! Great place, tons of interesting things-especially Phil's glass creations, really interesting folk art of all varieties. Hubby and Phil traded some artistic ideas. Back for great naps. Rain stopped and we headed to Seaside to see Dread Clampitt-sadly the music was cancelled due to rain. We walked around, took pic's, met a really nice family, hung out at the book store, had some cocktails, then had dinner at the Pizza Bar. Started with bread then split a pizza, good stuff and I love their red chairs-wish I had some for my patio!

Thurs we woke up to clouds and drizzle but it burned off by mid-morning and I headed to the beach. It was really windy and the waves were boiling so I didn't last long there but headed to the pool. Lunch at Wild Olives was pretty good, burger was ok, hubby's French dip was better, baked potato salad tasted like a chilled loaded baked potato. Back to the pool and ran into some nice folks that we met a couple of years ago and had a great day at the pool. Off to Seagrove Market Café for dinner: gumbo, fried seafood platter and ribeye-all were delicious! On to Movies by the Sea to get some little cousin bday presents; they have the coolest kid toys!

Friday was a sunny day, but sadly our last day. Off to the beach until mid afternoon then split lasagna from Cocoon's, pretty good stuff. Back to the pool for more visiting and sun-I overdid and am peeling a bit now. On to Seaside to the artwalk and to Modica Market to pick up dessert for this evening and muffins for the ride home. Drove on down to Grayton Beach for our last hurrah of beach time. We have a tradition of spending the last hour or so before sunset on our last day at the beach with a bottle of nice champagne and usually some fine chocolate, this year it was caramel pecan fudge pie from Modica. The sunset was lovely from Grayton, the champagne (aka as Giggly Bubbles) were tasty and the pie was roll your eyes back in your head rich! Lovely sunset that I hated to end! We walked around Grayton a bit then had a drink at Shorty's then had dinner at the Red Bar. I finally tried the crab cakes-they were really good, we split a gumbo and hubby had shrimp/crawfish pasta for the 2nd time of the week. Back to the condo to pack our stuff, L
Saturday, woke up to a beautiful day, I was really wishing I could stay another day! Walked on beach for about half an hour then headed home to Texas.

This was our 5th year on 30A; including our years at Sandestin this was probably about my 20th trip to SoWal. We've been many places but no where is as relaxing as SoWal and if I win the lotto it'll be my home!!!
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Impellizzeri's Pizza

Re: Trip diary of Scenic 30A-lots of restaurants there too

by Wes P » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:43 pm

I was down in the family condo at Water Color while you were there. We always go to Red Bar multiple times for food and drink. Hit Cafe 30A, Bud and Ally's and a new place The Shrimp Shack. It used to be Roly Poly's in the court yard by Bud and Ally's. Steamed seafood was great. We hit it a couple of times. :D
The Original Impellizzeri's Pizza
www.impellizzeris.com