Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Turks and Caicos

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Bonnie E.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:50 pm

Turks and Caicos

by Bonnie E. » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:34 am

Heading to Provo for the first time. Have read all the online travel site info. but would love to get recommendations from people that have actually eaten there. I've read there are very few inside places, mostly outdoor dining. Not sure of proper dress codes? Thanks for any suggestions.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

Re: Turks and Caicos

by John Greenup » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:40 am

I haven't been to the Turks & Caicos (yet), but based on travels around the Caribbean, with very few exceptions, the dining dress code tends to run casual (i.e., resort wear), though some places may frown upon showing up in bathing suits or anything that is too revealing -- except for the beach bars and snack shacks, where (almost) anything goes....once you arrive, you should get a feel for what's acceptable where.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:38 am

I agree with John generally, but you should be careful. We went to Bermuda (decidedly north of the Caribbean, of course) for our honeymoon, and the dress at upscale restaurats was almost always a jacket for men (it is Bermuda, so shorts, especially "Bermuda shorts" are acceptable) and at least half the time a tie as well. Even at casual spots people were rather dressed up--always a collared shirt, no demin, no flip flops, etc.

I've never been to T&C, but my understanding is that the typical clientele is a bit more high-end than other Caribbean places--if I were you I would research this a bit more to be sure.

My best guess is that the more the "imperial presence" in a given area combined with the more upscale the island is, the more likely more formal dress is required. Bermuda, as an example, is pretty high-end with a very large British presence, thus, formal dress despite the tropical weather.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:35 pm

I haven't visited Bermuda, but my folks were there years ago, and they did remark that the Brits tend to be a little more formal, even in the trpoical climes....I've been to the British Virgin Islands (BVI's) several times, and despite it's close ties w/the Crown, things tend to be somewhat more casual (though there are a few restaurants that require at least a jacket for men at dinner)...
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Bonnie E.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Bonnie E. » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks for your replies. We have been to Cayman a few times, also British rule and there were very few spots we felt we needed to "dress" for (husband pants, me dress) I think Island dining in general is easier for gals than guys. Taking my in-laws to T and C which is why I posed the question. Pop asked and I wanted to give him an accurate answer. Thanks again. Bonnie
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:29 am

We have not been to the T and C's but we have been down to the BVI's a couple times. As a rule of thumb,no bathing suits once off the beach. Aside from beach bar type restaurants men should wear a dress shirt or jacket to dinner. Most of the belongers tended to frown on less than conservative wear for the ladies. One older woman we know explained that once on island you should dress as if you were going to run into your grandma.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Bonnie E.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Bonnie E. » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:16 am

I love that! I usually feel like I have my grandmas on each shoulder anyway so I'll be fine. I would consider Cayman conservative but not stuffy, if that makes sense. Everyone is pretty well covered but jackets were required in only the nicest of places. We'll probably overpack as usual just to be safe. Thanks.