Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

San Franciso recs

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

San Franciso recs

by Brad Keeton » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:36 pm

Sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum, but all I could find were requests re: San Fran and Napa, etc., and most were sparsely responded to. I'm looking only for San Fran.

We'll be spending 10 days in the San Francisco area. I'm looking for:

A. General recommendations of not too $$$ places that are must-eats, including good suggestions for lunch and for watering holes.

B. One or two good choices for fine dining in close proximity to Union Square/Financial District, the closer to the Palace Hotel the better.

Thanks!
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

Re: San Franciso recs

by John Greenup » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:42 pm

The Tadich Grill (240 California St., in the Financial District)...reputed to be the oldest restaurant in SF (c. 1849)...see Frommer's review (infra.)....

Frommer's Review

Not that the veteran restaurant needed more reason to be beloved, but the city's ongoing loss of local institutions makes 158-year-old Tadich the last of a long-revered dying breed. This business began as a coffee stand during the 1849 gold rush and claims to be the very first to broil seafood over mesquite charcoal back in the early 1920s. An old-fashioned power-dining restaurant to its core, Tadich boasts its original mahogany bar, which extends the length of the restaurant, and seven booths for private powwows. Big plates of sourdough bread top the tables.

You won't find fancy California cuisine here. The novella-like menu features a slew of classic salads such as sliced tomato with Dungeness crab or prawn Louis, meats and fish from the charcoal broiler, and even casseroles. The seafood cioppino is a specialty, as is the baked casserole of stuffed turbot with crab and shrimp à la Newburg, and the petrale sole with butter sauce. Everything comes with a heaping side of fries, but if you crave something green, order the creamed spinach.

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/sa ... HJMcncOD&B
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn