Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

New York City Gluttony!

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Phil Gissen

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:54 am

New York City Gluttony!

by Phil Gissen » Thu May 28, 2009 10:48 am

We began our week-end in New York with a couple of slices at Joe's Pizzeria in the Village. By the way, it's a great time to visit the city since hotel prices are so low. Later Friday evening we had reservations at Lupa, a casual outpost of Mario Batali's empire. Donna chose the delicious Spaghetti alla Carbonara for $15 and I had two portions of the Spaghetti Bolognese. Everything was superb and washed down with a COPERTINO RISERVA “DIVOTO” APOLONIO from 2000.

For lunch on Saturday, we went to the Peking Duck House on Mott Street in Chinatown and naturally had a whole duck with pancakes and delicious hoisin sauce After shopping in Nolita, Noho, and Soho, we returned to the Village to eat at Louisville's native son's restaurant Elettaria. Donna enjoyed the Samosa appetizer tremendously. However, she was disappointed in her Saag Paneer as it was fried and rather strange. I chose the duck and i the Indian flavors was fabulous. The restaurant was quite charming and I loved the bar.

Sunday, we had an interesting meal at Bouley. While the food, ambiance, and price were all excellent, the service was stiff and the timing horrific! We both chose the set menu for $48.00 each and all the dishes tasted great. Donna started with the Porcini Flan and I had the Sushimi. The next dish was Skate for me and Rainbow Trout for Donna. This was followed by All - Natural Pennsylvania Chicken fresh almond puree, black truffles, organic crosnes, buttermilk and tarragon and
Long Island Duckling balinese pepper crust, white truffle honey, julienne of snow peas, tahitian vanilla - glazed turnips, verjus, ginger dressing. We both had the chocolate souffle for dessert. There was an hour between the serving of Flan - Sushimi and the Seafood dishes. This is inexcusable in a restaurant of this quality.

Sunday's dinner was at a little place in the Village called dell'anima. We sat outside on a charming Village street. The weather was balmy, the people beautiful, and the atmosphere incredible. Who remembers what the food tasted like? Donna said it was okay at best. Who cares. It was a wonderful evening.

We saw an excellent play called "Mary Stuart," listened to a cabaret singer at the Oak Room who happened to be Fiona Apple's sister, ate some wonderful meals and enjoyed walking the streets of Downtown. It was a grand week-end
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli."
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

Re: New York City Gluttony!

by John Greenup » Thu May 28, 2009 3:46 pm

I was in NYC last Friday (5/22) on a 1-day business trip, and enjoyed a working lunch in a conference room with a sweeping view of the Manhattan skyline...sadly, I didn't have a chance to visit any of my favorites (including Smith & Wollensky's) -- but did manage to cross paths with Hillary Clinton when I returned to LaGuardia....she pretended not to know me, as usual. :?
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Re: New York City Gluttony!

by carla griffin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:39 am

:lol:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost