Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Sunday Brunch/Dining and Jungle Jims

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Sunday Brunch/Dining and Jungle Jims

by Bill Veneman » Fri May 11, 2007 10:12 am

Will be coming up for the Ault Park Car Show next month (my annual trek) and am wanting to find a wonderful place to dine while I'm there. What I usually do is get the the show when the gates open, wonder around and admire the cars and exhibits, then about 1 or so, head out and find something wonderful to eat. Last year, I got lost trying to find the suggested destination, and wound up at PF Changs (heck, I can do that in Louisville). This year, I have a navagation system. I'm set. Also, how far is Jungle Jim's for that area? I may try to kill 2 birds with one stone. :roll:
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri May 11, 2007 12:42 pm

Close to Jungle Jim's is Pappadeaux http://www.pappadeaux.com/

one exit away: Map of Pappadeaux

Yes it is a chain, but it is wonderful Cajun food. We went there on our last trek to Jungle Jim's and left fat and happy. The service was grand and unhurried. When my husband requested a sauce change due to an allergy (not their fault - he forgot to ask), they made him a whole new plate, gave us a free dessert AND brought a doggie bag of bread and seafood bisque to take with us. :D
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed May 23, 2007 9:34 am

I am going to give this place a try during my next trek to the Jungle.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Pappadeaux

by Doogy R » Wed May 23, 2007 7:32 pm

Suzi Bernert wrote:Close to Jungle Jim's is Pappadeaux http://www.pappadeaux.com/

one exit away: Map of Pappadeaux

Yes it is a chain, but it is wonderful Cajun food. We went there on our last trek to Jungle Jim's and left fat and happy. The service was grand and unhurried. When my husband requested a sauce change due to an allergy (not their fault - he forgot to ask), they made him a whole new plate, gave us a free dessert AND brought a doggie bag of bread and seafood bisque to take with us. :D

If that place were in the Ville I would have a difficult time dining elsewhere. If you post this on the Ville link, beware. The anti-chainers will chop you up and spit you out. Some will act like chains are ok, but in reality, they are a bunch of indie lovers and chain haters. I will admit that Robin is open minded about chains, but as a whole the forum bashes them.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love the culinary culture the Ville has built over the last 2-3 decades. I dine at them a lot, but there are some chains that just get it right as there are indies that just DO NOT get it. Nuff said.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Brien Abt

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 01, 2007 9:46 am

Jeffersonville

by Brien Abt » Thu May 24, 2007 8:59 am

Pappadeux may be a chain but they do everything there own way. From having there own architect on down.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Pappadeaux

by Ron Johnson » Thu May 24, 2007 2:09 pm

Doogy R wrote:[If that place were in the Ville I would have a difficult time dining elsewhere. If you post this on the Ville link, beware. The anti-chainers will chop you up and spit you out. Some will act like chains are ok, but in reality, they are a bunch of indie lovers and chain haters. I will admit that Robin is open minded about chains, but as a whole the forum bashes them.

Nuff said.

I wish that was "nuff said", but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case for you. No one talks more about "chain bashing" than you do. You find a way to work into almost every post. It's getting ridiculous.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Thu May 24, 2007 11:01 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:
Doogy R wrote:[If that place were in the Ville I would have a difficult time dining elsewhere. If you post this on the Ville link, beware. The anti-chainers will chop you up and spit you out. Some will act like chains are ok, but in reality, they are a bunch of indie lovers and chain haters. I will admit that Robin is open minded about chains, but as a whole the forum bashes them.

Nuff said.

I wish that was "nuff said", but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case for you. No one talks more about "chain bashing" than you do. You find a way to work into almost every post. It's getting ridiculous.

Are you serious? You're saying I work chain bashing into "almost every" post? I would like you to back that up with some kind of factual reference. I see that there have been over 7000 posts on the Ville board. Are you indicating that on "ALMOST EVERY" post I have somehow worked chain bashing into them?

Ron, I don't know what percentage you would consider to be "ALMOST", but it would have to be well over 50%. This is just not true. Also, I rarely post over here and I've never mentioned chain bashing on the Cincy board until now. I really think you have no legs to stand upon on your stance toward me. I also think you must have me mistaken with someone else.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu May 24, 2007 11:22 pm

Doogy R wrote:Are you serious? You're saying I work chain bashing into "almost every" post? I would like you to back that up with some kind of factual reference.

Heck, I'll play.

Searching on "chain" with Doogy as author found 13 posts out of 410 posts that include the word. However, there were 0 posts in March (0/day), 7 posts in April (0.23/day), and 6 in May (0.25/day), so you do appear to be increasing your use of "chain". You all can decide whether 13/410 = 3.17% is considered "almost every" post.

Searching on the use of "chain" with Ron as author found 12 out of 313 posts (3.83 %); therefore, you, Ron, appear to have Doogy beaten on a percentage basis but not on a total use basis.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Thu May 24, 2007 11:36 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Doogy R wrote:Are you serious? You're saying I work chain bashing into "almost every" post? I would like you to back that up with some kind of factual reference.

Heck, I'll play.

Searching on "chain" with Doogy as author found 13 posts out of 410 posts that include the word. However, there were 0 posts in March (0/day), 7 posts in April (0.23/day), and 6 in May (0.25/day), so you do appear to be increasing your use of "chain". You all can decide whether 13/410 = 3.17% is considered "almost every" post.

Searching on the use of "chain" with Ron as author found 12 out of 313 posts (3.83 %); therefore, you, Ron, appear to have Doogy beaten on a percentage basis but not on a total use basis.

Hi Jay. I have to admit I appreciate your statistical analysis, but in all fairness to Ron, you need to enter bashing into the equation. Merely speaking of chains does no justice to the fact that I'm accused of working chain bashing into "almost every" post. I studied statistical analysis in school, so please place all the variables where the equation dictates. God, I hope these people do not think I am a mindless idiot. Thanks for your support. :o

Oh Jay, did you notice that my number of "chain" posts from April to May decreased by 1. So, in fact, there is NOT a trend upward. I also have to admit that if I post something about a chain in 3.17% of my posts, it cannot be considered that I post chain bashing posts in "ALMOST EVERY" post that I post. Thanks for doing the footwork for me. If you're in the Ville, look me up. I am really not a bad guy.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu May 24, 2007 11:55 pm

Well, I had hoped you would recognize my post strictly as tongue-firmly-in-cheek. My analysis should be considered as ridiculous as the discussion of chains vs indies in general - I just do not take this stuff so seriously.

Incidentally, I did run the search with "bash", too, but I'm too tired to record the results. And, continuing with the silliness, I recognize you did decrease the use of "chain" by one in May, but I was referring to its use on a per day basis - in that analysis you're increasing, so watch it buster.

Oh, and I am in "the Ville", as you say (graduated from the University and everything).
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Pappadeaux

by Doogy R » Fri May 25, 2007 12:05 am

Jay M. wrote:Well, I had hoped you would recognize my post strictly as tongue-firmly-in-cheek. My analysis should be considered as ridiculous as the discussion of chains vs indies in general - I just do not take this stuff so seriously.

Incidentally, I did run the search with "bash", too, but I'm too tired to record the results. And, continuing with the silliness, I recognize you did decrease the use of "chain" by one in May, but I was referring to its use on a per day basis - in that analysis you're increasing, so watch it buster.

Oh, and I am in "the Ville", as you say (graduated from the University and everything).

Evidently, I didn't get your tongue-in-cheek indication but that's ok. I do now. :D
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri May 25, 2007 8:25 am

I give up. Let's just make every thread about chains.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Let's just make every thread about chains.

by Doogy R » Fri May 25, 2007 8:35 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:I give up. Let's just make every thread about chains.

I'm really sorry you feel that way.