Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Munich and Frankfort?

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Munich and Frankfort?

by Deb Hall » Fri May 15, 2009 10:25 pm

I'm heading to Germany in a week- Solar conference. I'll be in in Munich for a day solo before joining others and customers for the next several days. I'll also have one night in Frankfort at the end of the trip.

Any suggestions for food and must sees? Also, anyone know what the customs restrictions are for food back into the US?- I was thinking some cheeses would travel well but not sure if I can bring them back into the states.

Thanks!
Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Munich and Frankfort?

by Robin Garr » Sat May 16, 2009 11:14 am

Deb Hall wrote:Also, anyone know what the customs restrictions are for food back into the US?- I was thinking some cheeses would travel well but not sure if I can bring them back into the states.

It's complicated, but meat is out, and unpasteurized-milk cheeses are out.

One thing to consider: If you have food to declare, you will have to make an extra stop - and wait in another line - to go through the Agriculture inspection. In theory they should be well briefed on what's permissible, but you do stand a chance of seeing your goodies tossed into a dumpster.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat May 16, 2009 1:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:Also, anyone know what the customs restrictions are for food back into the US?- I was thinking some cheeses would travel well but not sure if I can bring them back into the states.

It's complicated, but meat is out, and unpasteurized-milk cheeses are out.

One thing to consider: If you have food to declare, you will have to make an extra stop - and wait in another line - to go through the Agriculture inspection. In theory they should be well briefed on what's permissible, but you do stand a chance of seeing your goodies tossed into a dumpster.

Robin,

Thanks for the insight- that's a very valid consideration. Is the extra line going to be at US Customs ( in Charlotte) or in Frankfort? ( I could eat cheese on the plane if it's the former... :wink:

DEb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 16, 2009 3:40 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Thanks for the insight- that's a very valid consideration. Is the extra line going to be at US Customs ( in Charlotte) or in Frankfort? ( I could eat cheese on the plane if it's the former... :wink:

Incoming, Deb, back to the good old USA. That's what makes it rough. Who wants to screw around with an additional layer of bureaucracy when you're just home, tired from an overseas flight, and fretting about getting out of there, through security and making your connections back to SDF. :P
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Bummed out indeed, Rosemarie, but count yourself lucky that you didn't find yourself in the legal process docked for a serious fine. It could happen!

I've traveled home with wine from overseas a lot, and there's one firm rule I recommend: Don't lie to Customs. You might get away with it, but they have a lot of inspectors and a lot of X-ray machines, and you're screwing around with federal law. Not worth the risk to me. Your mileage may vary.

annemarie m wrote:20 years ago when i was in italy, i purchased a whole proscuitto di parma, stuck it in my luggage with dried italian mushrooms and my clothes on top. when i got to customs, i didn't say a word. they looked thru my luggage found the stuff and right before my very eyes tossed my beautiful proscuitto right in the dumpster. needless to say i was bummed out.
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Wed May 20, 2009 9:48 am

Robin Garr wrote:Bummed out indeed, Rosemarie, but count yourself lucky that you didn't find yourself in the legal process docked for a serious fine. It could happen!

I've traveled home with wine from overseas a lot, and there's one firm rule I recommend: Don't lie to Customs. You might get away with it, but they have a lot of inspectors and a lot of X-ray machines, and you're screwing around with federal law. Not worth the risk to me. Your mileage may vary.

I agree that honesty is the best policy with customs, but apparently that's a huge YMMV. On our recent trip to Italy we were told that you might be able to sneak some pecorino cheese back to the states, and some shops will actually vacuum seal it for you. The prevailing opinion was that if you were caught they'd just throw it away. We didn't risk that, but brought back a couple of bottles of olive oil (it's like buttah). We listed it on our declaration sheet with our other purchases and were never questioned or had our checked bags searched.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."