Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Destin Dining

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Sallie P.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:51 am

Destin Dining

by Sallie P. » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Trying Destin for the first time...going next week for a few days before the Central Kentucky mobs ascend upon it. What is good at reasonable prices for great seafood. Do they do Early Birds like the ocean side of Florida?
User

Anderson Grissom

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:18 am

Downtown

Re: Destin Dining

by Anderson Grissom » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:57 pm

Really? No responses here, hard to believe there are no comments on Louisville South.... Anyway I am in Destin and would like some recommendations.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Anderson Grissom wrote:Really? No responses here, hard to believe there are no comments on Louisville South.... Anyway I am in Destin and would like some recommendations.

Anderson, if it's not too late, I got second-hand recs from two friends: There's a new Commander's Palace in Destin that is very nice, and that you should drive over to Ft. Walton to a place called Coriolla's. I haven't been to either, but the recommendations come from folks I trust. Have fun!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:23 am

I'm heading to Louisville South for Derby week. Anything new or updates? Coriolla's closed in 2008 Marsha...
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:39 pm

David R. Pierce wrote: Louisville South

I'm trying to figure out if something is wrong with me. We go to Florida fairly often - South Florida, Key West, Orlando, Cocoa Beach, Tampa/St. Pete, Naples, the Everglades ... but I have never, ever been to Destin. What's the appeal for Louisville folks? First beach you reach as you come down I-75?
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
David R. Pierce wrote: Louisville South

I'm trying to figure out if something is wrong with me. We go to Florida fairly often - South Florida, Key West, Orlando, Cocoa Beach, Tampa/St. Pete, Naples, the Everglades ... but I have never, ever been to Destin. What's the appeal for Louisville folks? First beach you reach as you come down I-75?

I-65. I'm not sure really. We go because we have friends that own condos there. They do not use the vacation rental companies to keep them full, so are available cheaper than a hotel room. Full kitchens, close or on the beach, pool, hot tub, cheap, 10 hour drive. That is why we go. We always meet Louisville families when there.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:54 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:I-65.

Got it. I was thinking of I-65 ending at Mobile, but anyway, drive south until you hit the Gulf and then stop. We generally fly right over that part. I wouldn't be likely to drive that far unless it was a one-way trip hauling a U-Haul.

I'm not sure really. We go because we have friends that own condos there. They do not use the vacation rental companies to keep them full, so are available cheaper than a hotel room. Full kitchens, close or on the beach, pool, hot tub, cheap, 10 hour drive. That is why we go. We always meet Louisville families when there.

Well, seriously, thanks for the thoughts. I really have often wondered about that.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:46 pm

Suggestions from one of my close friends who divides her time cheifly between Danville and Destin:
Louisiana Langiappe; Marina Cafe; Cuvee Bistro; La Familiagio (straight from Rome) and, in Sandestin, Marlin
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:08 am

Gayle DeM wrote:Suggestions from one of my close friends who divides her time cheifly between Danville and Destin:
Louisiana Langiappe; Marina Cafe; Cuvee Bistro; La Familiagio (straight from Rome) and, in Sandestin, Marlin

Thank you Gayle. I've never had trouble finding the local foodie spots. I thought there may be something new.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:55 pm

Geez, David, I haven't been to the RR since 1998. I went on vacation alone and there was a hurricane. Evacuation was voluntary, so I stayed. That was my second beach hurricane. I highly recommend them, as long as you're fully supplied with liquor and food and the power doesn't go out. Everyone else goes away, and you're left with the awesome sound of the storm plus whatever music you want as your soundtrack. Also, a walk in the 75 mph wind is de riguer. I only got about 30 yards, but I'll never forget it.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:34 am

Marsha L. wrote:Geez, David, I haven't been to the RR since 1998. I went on vacation alone and there was a hurricane. Evacuation was voluntary, so I stayed. That was my second beach hurricane. I highly recommend them, as long as you're fully supplied with liquor and food and the power doesn't go out. Everyone else goes away, and you're left with the awesome sound of the storm plus whatever music you want as your soundtrack. Also, a walk in the 75 mph wind is de riguer. I only got about 30 yards, but I'll never forget it.

I forgot that designation. I haven't been in a couple years. We go in shoulder season or when one of the three owners has a hole in their rental schedule to fill. I lived in Florida, Tallahassee, for four years as a kid. I remember living through a couple hurricanes, not as bad in the city as the coast.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

by TrishaW » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:29 pm

There was a hamburger place there (kind of like fuddpucker's but not) that was good. Right on the strip across from the public parts of the beach. Had bean soup for like a $0.25 a bowl. Some senate story (if I remember).

Oh....there's an oyster shack (I really think that was the name) on the water at the marina that has GREAToysters and cold, cold beer. Went there before scuba a couple of times. Used to have a shirt from there.....boat shack, maybe?
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Leaving in two weeks. Anything new?
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:21 am

OMG YES! You MUST go to Fat Clemenza's.

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Deluxe-Pet- ... 923&sr=1-3

And definitely try the garlic rolls. Everything is made fresh to order and is truly the best Italian I have ever had. (that's saying something considering my husband is Italian.)

Go there!!

Here are a few reviews: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?rlz=1 ... CB8QqgUwAQ

The only thing there I didn't care much for were the cannolis. Everything else is unbelievably good.

There's also an Irish pub/restaurant type place that gets good reviews, but we found it just ok. It's a fun experience though.

Turn down your speakers before you click on the link http://www.mcguiresirishpub.com/
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 am

I forgot to mention the Donut Hole. You must get there early in the morning or else you just get the few that are left over. Don't even try it after 2 or 3. (they're still open but the donuts are gone.) http://www.yelp.com/biz/donut-hole-bakery-cafe-destin
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei