Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

On your way to Florida...

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Jerry R

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:15 am

On your way to Florida...

by Jerry R » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:52 pm

This post is a bit late, but for any of you driving to Destin this summer, if you use the route that exits
I-65 at Georgiana, AL.there is a little wood building next to the BP gas station that has killer bar bq! The name is Kendall's and there is no inside seating but there are 6 picnic table outside. Found this place on our way to Destin for spring break. Pulled pork is reeeeeaally good.
See ya
Jerry
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

Re: On your way to Florida...

by John Greenup » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:52 pm

Some of the best restaurants are the small, out of the way places....when I was a kid (back in the '60's) we would take driving vacations to Florida from our home in Indy...this was before the interstate highway system was complete, and we often found ourselves detoured off the interstate onto US 31-W, US 41, etc....we always passed through Cave City, when it was really a bustling little tourist burg, and there was a small restaurant in the middle of town, on the same property as one of those old motor courts ...the motel name escapes me, but the restaurant was called "Young's" and they featured country cooking served in bowls ("family style"), along with the BEST homemade apple pie I've ever eaten (they supposedly baked it with molasses -- delicious)...we always made a stop either going down or coming back...I think the building remains standing in Cave City, but the restaurant is long gone....your post made me think about that place and how good it was.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Jerry R

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:15 am

by Jerry R » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:26 pm

I bet a book could be written on these kind of places by the participants of this site. Hmmm
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:55 pm

Jerry R wrote:I bet a book could be written on these kind of places by the participants of this site. Hmmm

Hey, Jerry, nice to see you here. (Assuming you're Jerry R, the wine guy. Or even if you're not!)

My general rule for any trip over about 75 miles is to get your snack food from the nice lady in the uniform with the tray of peanuts.