Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Napa Valley and surrounding

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

Napa Valley and surrounding

by Holly C » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:34 pm

We're going to Napa for our honeymoon in late May / early June, and we'd love some restaurant recommendations! Especially for things that aren't once-in-a-lifetime places. (We'd love to try French Laundry, obviously, but it remains to be seen whether we'll have the money for it!) Any good lunch places, or not-out-of-this-world-expensive dinner recommendations (for instance, a splurge dinner for us if we don't make it to French Laundry would be ~$30/entree)?

We're also going to be driving up the coast a little bit north of San Francisco, so if you have any recommendations in that region that would be great.

And finally, I need a single amazing dim sum place in San Francisco -- we're only going to spend a day there on our way through the area, but I need to try some SF dim sum and see how it compares to NYC and Philly -- and, dare I say it, HK!

Thanks!
User

Casandra C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: Napa Valley and surrounding

by Casandra C » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:37 pm

Go Fish, for sushi. Watch out with the omakase, though, with a few additions we suddenly had a $250 lunch bill on our hands. It certainly does not have to be that expensive, and it was very, very good.

Also, although you didn't ask, might I suggest a winery? It is in Sonoma, rather than Napa, but that's all so close together anyhow... Imagery Estates, in Glen Ellen on highway 12. We had an outstanding visit to this very modern winery that blends art (each wine, each year, has a new label featuring the work of various artists) with tasty wine. They offer a variety of varietals (!) including grenache, sangiovese, and malbec.

Happy honeymoon!
"We can't have people running around eating pie and eggs for breakfast--- it's not on the menu."- WB
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:52 pm

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi Holly. We just got back from Napa/Sonoma last week. That was my 6th trip in 9 years! I prefer the beauty and quieter nature of Sonoma County over the crowds and traffic of Napa. For a treat, have lunch at Auberge du Soleil...lunch will be half of what dinner costs and the scenery is awesome even if you do hear Napa traffic. Cyrus over in Healdsburg has been receiving rave reviews and though very pricey is less than French Laundry. Healdsburg is worth a trip on its own. Arrange a tour (well in advance) of Opus One. Touristy, yes, but quite different from anything else you'll see. Artesa for the architecture and views, Hess for the amazing lanscapes and art work. My favorites in Napa are the small production wineries off the Silverado Trail such as William Harrison, Stelzner, Dutch Henry, Zahtila. They will give you a map of the special wineries. A good rule of thumb is to avoid the places with buses and limos. Best time to winery hop is during the week. Weekends are a zoo.
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

by Holly C » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:32 pm

Thanks for all the great tips! We're going to explore both Napa and Sonoma, so the winery suggestions are appreciated as well. I'm getting excited putting together our itinerary!