Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!
User

Casandra C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:49 pm

Daytona Beach? (Please, don't laugh.)

by Casandra C » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:03 pm

We're relocating to Daytona Beach in a couple months- I think I've mentioned before in the main forum that one of the factors we considered when interviewing around the country for my job was the food in a given location. Clearly, DB was not a strong contender in this area (Sacramento was, however- yum!) but since I liked pretty much everything else about the job available, the cost of living, and the warm sunny weather... they won out.

Any suggestions about where to dine in/near Daytona Beach? I know Orlando surely has some options (we've visited Le Coq au Vin which I HIGHLY recommend) but that's a good 60 miles away... Please tell me I'm not destined to a miserable culinary fate...
"We can't have people running around eating pie and eggs for breakfast--- it's not on the menu."- WB
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Daytona Beach? (Please, don't laugh.)

by Steve P » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:58 am

I used to spend a couple or three weeks a year in the area while attending classes at the FAA facility in Palm Coast (15 miles north of DAB). There were quite a few little indy-beach establishments that put out some pretty good food. No idea if they are still around but it was definitely NOT a food desert. If it were me, I'd make a beeline to St. Augustine (halfway between JAX and DAB)...One KEWL little city, especially "old" St. Augustine...lots of funky little coffee shops and cafes.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:20 am

My Mom lives in the Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area, and there's a fair number of interesting eateries around there (and more in Orlando), although it's not like Louisville. Closer to where you'll be, there's a pretty nice bistro-like establishment with a built-in wine shop near the beach in New Smyrna Beach (sorry I can't remember names); also the smaller town of DeLand, a bit inland from New Smyrna Beach, is home of Stetson University, a quality smaller college, and the presence of the college raises the food-and-drink scene a bit above the norm for a smaller town. I realize this all sounds kind of "yeah, but, maybe, if ...", but you work with what you've got.
User

Casandra C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:49 pm

by Casandra C » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:49 am

Thanks for your recommendation about St. Augustine (sounds like a great Saturday trip!) We will certainly have to check that out once we're there and settled in.

Robin, thanks to you too for suggesting the bistro in New Smyrna Beach- there can't be too many there so it shouldn't be hard at all to find. We will make sure to visit DeLand as well and see what the area around Stetson has to offer.

These all sound like fun possibilities that are certainly closer than Orlando- anyone have any thoughts on restaurants in Daytona Beach itself (for those Tuesday nights when anything more than 15 minutes seems too far?) We will be living either on DB proper or on the mainland right across the bridges, nearish to Embry Riddle, UCF, Halifax, Volusia Mall, the Speedway.... that general area.
"We can't have people running around eating pie and eggs for breakfast--- it's not on the menu."- WB
User

Andrea E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:15 pm

La Grange, KY

by Andrea E » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:50 pm

We like the Oyster Pub in downtown Daytona - it's where I had my first-ever oyster on the half shell, and I think we went through another 4 dozen that same night :) Daytona is a little sparse on options, but there is another place due north (Ormond-by-the-Sea) called Betty's A1A Cafe that had really good, down-home food (they don't take credit cards, but it is really reasonable).
Q&A Sweet Treats Bakery & Dessert Cafe
211 South First Street
La Grange, KY 40031
502-265-0550
www.qasweettreats.com