Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Fayetteville/Charleston WV?

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Old Louisville

Fayetteville/Charleston WV?

by Mandy R » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:56 pm

It looks like I will be going white water rafting for the first time next month in Fayetteville, WV. We will be taking I64 all the way to Charleston and then make our way to Fayetteville just southeast of there. Are there any good restaurants I should be keeping an eye out for? We'll be camping out by the river, but if there is something I shouldn't miss I will certainly get it in one way or the other!
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Fayetteville/Charleston WV?

by Steve P » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:52 am

Mandy R wrote:It looks like I will be going white water rafting for the first time next month in Fayetteville, WV. We will be taking I64 all the way to Charleston and then make our way to Fayetteville just southeast of there. Are there any good restaurants I should be keeping an eye out for? We'll be camping out by the river, but if there is something I shouldn't miss I will certainly get it in one way or the other!

Rafting - Kewl. Charleston - Bad
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:20 pm

Mandy R wrote:It looks like I will be going white water rafting for the first time next month in Fayetteville, WV. We will be taking I64 all the way to Charleston and then make our way to Fayetteville just southeast of there. Are there any good restaurants I should be keeping an eye out for? We'll be camping out by the river, but if there is something I shouldn't miss I will certainly get it in one way or the other!

Yikes. Yeah, I've rafted in that area a few times. Great rafting. No food options that I know of. I would think Charleston would have a few options, but probably not worth hopping off I-64. If you find yourself hungry close to Huntington, WV (maybe 30 minutes short of Charleston, 10 minutes from the Kentucky border), hop off and hit up Jim's Steak and Spaghetti. It's a landmark, with almost every President from Kennedy to Clinton having eaten there. It's dirt cheap, and good spaghetti. It's a traditional diner style place. It's relatively close to the Marshall U campus. Savannah's Restaurant, also in Huntington, offers good upscale food. Evaroni's Pizza in nearby Kenova, WV is probably my favorite pizza ever. I grew up on it.

I'm sure if you get out and explore a bit you might be able to find a local diner or country cookin kind of place close to the rafting areas.

May I suggest a campfire?
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Old Louisville

by Mandy R » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:15 am

Thanks for the info Brad. Well we are ceratainly planning on doing the traditional cook out at the campsite, but I thought I would pick up any suggestions for places to stop on the way in. I know it will take a while to set up and get settled in... Oh well if all else fails I can just pack up a picnic lunch to bring along with the rest of the supplies!
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:03 am

It's been a while, but I remember this place as being pretty good.
http://tinyurl.com/ctp5oq
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:40 pm

Joe Fazio's in Charleston is the only restaurant there worth stopping for.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.