Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Hong Kong

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Joseph M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:27 pm

Hong Kong

by Joseph M » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:10 am

I'm going to visit my brother at the beginning of summer in Indonesia, and I was lucky enough to work out a 24 hour layover in Hong Kong. I'm staying at a hotel in central Hong Kong (super excited), and I'll be ready to make the restaurant splurge of a lifetime for the one night I'm there. Does anyone have any experience in the city?

I'm also spending most of my trip in Medan, Sumatra... Being that it's not exactly a tourist destination, I'm not expecting much in the way of advice, but if anyone has any suggestions or experiences in the city, please do share!
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

Re: Hong Kong

by Holly C » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:28 pm

Hmm, I don't know about a "restaurant splurge of a lifetime" recommendations, as I always eat in random holes-in-the-wall while I'm there. I'm always craving wonton noodle soup (or shrimp dumpling noodle soup), and great dim sum. We usually eat on the Kowloon side, where my grandmother lives and knows all the local places (plus, things are cheaper in Kowloon than on HK Island). Actually, since I usually navigate by sight when I'm there, I really couldn't tell you the names of the places we go, even though we have a favorite noodle shop, dim sum place, and jook (breakfast rice porridge) place. So, it turns out my response here is completely useless; sorry!
no avatar
User

Joseph M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:27 pm

by Joseph M » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:58 pm

I do suppose "splurge" is a pretty relative term, given my income.... I definitely appreciate any sort of advice.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Tony Bourdain's Hong Kong restaurant to-do list (from his show): http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/A ... xtfmt=show
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist